Bregman continues hot streak, but he's human - lsureveille.com: Blogs

|
||

Bregman continues hot streak, but he's human

Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 10:33 pm | Updated: 12:13 am, Wed Mar 27, 2013.

NEW ORLEANS-- After a hard line of questioning following LSU's 14-1 shellacking of Tulane at Turchin Stadium, freshman Tiger shortstop Alex Bregman confirmed he is human.

"Yes, definitely," Bregman said. "[Last time I checked] definitely human."

The heralded Albuquerque, N.M. native joined his teammates in feasting on Green Wave pitching, finishing the contest with four of LSU's 15 hits to extend his streak of games with more than three hits to five.

Named Southeastern Conference Player of the Week for his exploits last weekend against Auburn, Bregman smoked four singles in his first four at-bats Tuesday, scoring three runs and driving in another.

"It's fun to play alongside somebody like that," said senior first baseman Mason Katz. "No matter if he sees 98, 88 or 78 [miles per hour] it all looks the same to him."

Nipping on the heels of senior outfielder Raph Rhymes' historic hitting run last season, Bregman credited his teammates' ability to get on base in front of him as the catalyst to his recent success.

LSU coach Paul Mainieri joked Bregman took advantage of some fortuitous bounces, then set the record straight on why his prized recruit has adjusted so smoothly to Division I action.

"He's been very fortunate," Mainieri said. "Really good hitters, the ball seems to find an open pasture."

|
||