LSU track and field notebook: Jan. 31, 2013 - lsureveille.com: Blogs

|
||

LSU track and field notebook: Jan. 31, 2013

Related Stories

Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:44 pm | Updated: 10:20 pm, Thu Jan 31, 2013.

Tigers keep Florida on their minds

The Tigers of the LSU track and field team have not forgotten about the 2-point loss to Florida in the 2012 NCAA Outdoor Championships that came down to the 1,600-meter relay – the last race of the meet.

Senior Damar Forbes said the memory is still in the back of the Tigers' mind.

"There's a lot of people back from last year with a bad taste in their mouth," Forbes said. "I'm not gonna let them forget what happened last year."

Forbes said the Tigers are now the "underdogs," which believes is the best place for the team to be because no one is looking at the Tigers to perform a certain way.

Last weekend the Lady Tigers finished second to Florida in the Razorback Invitational by one point – 101 to 100.

Coach Dennis Shaver said he went into the meet as a "performance meet," but that emphasizes the importance of each competitor.

"When you get beat by one point I think it's a good opportunity to do a little teaching about how important every single person is that's competing for our team," Shaver said. "…Particularly in meets like the SEC and NCAAs where one point can be the difference in being first and second in those meets too."

Duncan still hungry

After winning the national championship in the 200-meter run, and winning the prestigious Bowerman award, senior sprinter Kimberlyn Duncan enters her last season at LSU with goals of continuing to improve her personal records.

"Coming into years like this … it's bittersweet, but you know you're excited you're ready to go especially how the training went this offseason. I'm excited to see what else I can do. The main thing is I'm trying to constantly improve and execute my races and keep getting my personal bests."

|
||