9.13.17 Mike the Tigers Birthday Party

LSU athletic director Joe Alleva speaks to the crowd on Wednesday, Sept. 13, 2017, at Mike the Tiger's first birthday party at the tiger habitat on LSU campus.

LSU Athletics Director and Vice Chancellor Joe Alleva is expected to step down from his position as soon as Wednesday, the University confirmed in a press release Wednesday. 

“We are grateful to Joe for his years of service and dedication to LSU,” said LSU President F. King Alexander in the release. “Under his leadership, LSU Athletics has become even more nationally competitive and our student-athletes have reached new levels of academic achievement.”

Alleva will transition to a new role as special assistant to the president for donor relations. He will continue to act in his current position until a new athletic director is named.

“The eleven years Annie and I have been here in Baton Rouge have been some of the best in our lives,” said Alleva. “We have made lifelong friends and memories in Louisiana. This is truly a special place. It’s been an honor to serve LSU, and I am proud to continue to do that in a new role.”

Alleva has been unpopular with fans and boosters for years — since failing to fire former football coach Les Miles in 2015 to failing to hire Jimbo Fisher as his replacement in 2016. 

Alleva has recently drawn criticism for how he dealt with the suspension of basketball coach Will Wade concerning the FBI investigation into college basketball recruiting. 

3.9.19 LSU vs Vandy

LSU athletic director Joe Alleva leaves the stadium during the Tigers' 80-59 victory over Vanderbilt on Saturday, March 9, 2019, in the PMAC.

Wade broke month-long silence by speaking to the LSU Board of Supervisors on Friday and was reinstated on Sunday night. 

Alleva succeeded Skip Bertman as athletic director in 2008, coming from Duke University. 

Like what you read and want to support student journalism? Click here to donate to The Daily Reveille.

Recommended for you