Culture Club Tablets not meant for taking pictures

Related Stories

Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 11:29 pm

You look stupid when you take pictures with an iPad.

There, I said it.

I know this may come as a shock to some, but tablets are not meant to be used as photo-taking devices.

Tablets are used for four purposes: browsing the Internet, checking email, watching movies and playing games. And, for some, watching porn. (Seriously, don’t do that.)

The camera on an iPad? It sucks. It’s a paltry five megapixels, and that’s only on the new “Retina display” model. The photos are grainy, oversaturated and of such poor quality, it is unbelievable companies like Apple allowed them to be shipped.

But that ignores the most important thing — everyone looks like a dumbass when trying to take a picture with one.

Think about it. You’re wielding this giant, 10-inch slate of metal and glass in front of your face, trying to take a picture of something that is, in all likelihood, too far away to take a picture of. You just embarrass yourself instead of getting a good shot.

I’ve taken more pictures of idiots with iPads on the sideline of Tiger Stadium than I care to admit. I once watched a teenager hold her brand-new, $500 iPad over a pool to film a swimming relay. I saw people with iPads taking pictures at the Voodoo Experience at least 100 yards away from the stage.

How are these people allowed to own tablets?

What’s even more absurd is that if you own an iPad or other tablet, there’s a good chance you have a smartphone, too.

Guess which camera is not only good, but, in many cases, legitimately better than many traditional point-and-shoots?

Cell phone cameras.

Unlike tablet shooters, these don’t suck. That’s why Instagram and mobile picture sharing is so popular — you’re always carrying a competent camera in your pocket.

So why in the name of all that is good and pure would you choose to take pictures with a bulkier, heavier and more terrible version of something you already have?

Maybe you have unresolved issues from your childhood or something, but that does not give you permission to walk around with your iPad looking like an idiot.

Let this be a warning: If I catch you taking pictures with an iPad for anything serious, I’m going to take it from you. You look dumb, and you should feel dumb.

Save yourself the embarrassment.

• posted at 3:54 am on Wed, Nov 14, 2012.

Yeah, I agree! I don't even own a tablet and I thought this article was absolutely rude. It's one thing if it's a blog, but if this is being passed off as a news article, the writer should be aiming to sound professional instead of harsh. Oh and for the record, cell phone cameras are just as bad, if not worse. If I wanna take a decent picture, I'll just pony up the cash for a legitimate camera.

• posted at 9:20 am on Tue, Nov 13, 2012.

Although I agree with his message, the way Balkom conveys it is inappropriate for a medium such as the Reveille. Referring to those mentioned in the article as stupid, dumbasses and idiots and "warning" them that he'll take their iPads if they don't use it the way he deems properly is unprofessional for one who writes for a company. Go ahead and write like that in your blogs, but keep those petty, offensive means of conveying a message out of the Reveille. The opinion columns may offend some of the readers, but at least they do so professionally.

• posted at 8:41 am on Tue, Nov 13, 2012.

The language used in this article is completely inappropriate and easily avoidable. Repeatedly insulting your audience by calling them stupid, dumbasses and idiots is far from professional in this medium. Also, "warning" your audience that you'll confiscate their iPad if they don't use it in a way that you approve of just stacks right on top of that. Go ahead and use that language in your entertainment blog, where its expected by your audience, but in the Reveille, you work for a business that must maintain a certain reputation. Frankly, I'm surprised this article made it past the editors.

• posted at 1:46 am on Tue, Nov 13, 2012.

I don't own a tablet...however, what do you care what somebody does in this vast world. How does somebody taking a picture bother you so much. Expand your mind young college kid. "You look dumb, and you should feel dumb." There. I said it. Grow up.

Looking for some recipes to try?

Trending Now