Museum’s program teaches art at a young age - lsureveille.com: Entertainment

|
||

Museum’s program teaches art at a young age

Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 6:49 pm | Updated: 7:42 pm, Wed Jul 30, 2014.

Raising a child is one of the greatest rigors life throws at a person. Not only does it take inordinate amounts of time, but a parent is always focused on making sure their child is educated, even at a young age.

The LSU Museum of Art is sympathetic, and that’s why they have set up programs such as “Stories in Art.”

Lucy Perera, who created the program said parents with young children seek out play groups and activities most times.

“This is something for both of them because the parents can help in what the child creates.” Perera said.

”Stories in Art” is an art and literacy program held by the museum for children in pre-school or younger. The program’s mission is to introduce children to art at a young age by displaying art in an age-appropriate way.

The program begins with the children being read a story, followed by the children being shown art in the form of shapes and colors. The kids are then asked to make their own art based on what they’ve heard and seen.

Perera pointed out that many many recent studies show how art at a young age can influence the child positively. A story from a 2006 issue of “The School Administrator” confirms her claim, which said art can help a child’s cognitive and social skills.

Perera taught a similar program for 10 years when she worked at the University of New Mexico Art Museum in Albuquerque, NM. She said parents would come in thankful for not only an educational activity for their young child, but also a chance to meet other parents.

Perera said that years later, children she once taught the program would frequent UNM Art Museum as they grew up. She hopes that the same type of results will happen in Baton Rouge in a few years.

“I think it has been a very successful program,” Perera said. “It started in the beginning with a few moms and we’ve now had up to 60 people at a program… so yes, I think it will grow.”

The half-hour program is free and open to anyone with a small child. Their next program will be at 10:30 a.m. tomorrow. The story will be read on the fifth floor, and other activities will be at the museum’s art studio on the third floor.

|
||
rss

Trending Now