Football: Herron arrested for bike theft

Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 3:24 pm

LSU redshirt freshman defensive end Frank Herron was arrested Monday on a misdemeanor theft charge, LSU Police Department spokesman Capt. Cory Lalonde confirmed to The Daily Reveille.

According to Lalonde, a male victim contacted LSUPD on Monday morning after observing another person riding what he believed to be his stolen bicycle in the area of the Cox Auditorium.

When police arrived, they questioned the person riding the bicycle and Herron, who was in the area at the time.

Lalonde said Herron admitted to stealing the bike, which was reported stolen by the victim on April 23 from the bike racks by the Huey P. Long Field House.

Lalonde said the other individual who was spotted riding the bike is not considered to be involved in the crime.

In a text message to The Daily Reveille, LSU spokesman Michael Bonnette said LSU coach Les Miles is aware of the arrest, has met with Herron, and the former five-star recruit will be disciplined internally.

Herron was arrested just before 1:30 p.m. He was issued a summons and released. The investigation is still ongoing, according to Lalonde.

Miles, Athletic Director Joe Alleva and basketball coach Johnny Jones spoke at the first stop of the Tiger Atheltic Foundation’s Tiger Tour in Shreveport on Monday night.

Adressing a small group of media members, Miles said he was surprised to hear of Herron’s arrest.

“I can tell you he’s a wonderful kid,” Miles told The Shreveport Times. “I can’t imagine he’ll do anything like that again. Prank is more the intent and naïve is more the reason.”

Total Votes: 0