Jalen Mills arrested for second degree battery - lsureveille.com: Lsufootball

Jalen Mills arrested for second degree battery

Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 9:36 am

The LSU football team suspended junior defensive back Jalen Mills indefinitely Wednesday morning after Mills was arrested earlier that day.

Baton Rouge Police Department arrested Mills for second degree battery after he allegedly punched a female victim in the mouth last month at Northgate Apartments on Highland Road. He later posted bail and was released from prison Wednesday afternoon.

Mills turned himself in at the LSU Police Department on campus and was handed over to BRPD. The Police Department booked him into East Baton Rouge Parish Prison at about 11:30 p.m. Tuesday, according to a spokesperson for the prison. His bond was first set at $7,000 and then raised to $10,000 later in the day.

According to a police warrant, the victim said on May 4 she was visiting the Northgate Apartment complex and knocked on Mills’ door. After Mills opened and closed the door in her face, the victim knocked again. She began walking away after no one came to the door. The victim said as she began walking away, she heard something, turned around and Mills punched her in the mouth.

The victim received lacerations to the lip that required four stitches to close. The victim also identified Mills in a six-person lineup as the person who punched her. A witness stated she saw Mills punch the victim and also identified Mills in a lineup.

BRPD contacted Mills May 29 about the incident, and he told police he was in Houston and would not return to Baton Rouge until summer classes started on June 9. Mills failed to show for an appointment Tuesday at 5 p.m. and didn’t respond to phone calls that day. A felony warrant was then ordered for his arrest.

He was released from prison at approximately 3:42 p.m.

Mills started in his first two years at LSU and is a former Freshman All-American. The Desoto, Texas native started all 13 games last season, recording 67 tackles, three sacks and three interceptions.

The Mills arrest continues a long trend within the football team. Last season, running back Jeryl Brazil was dismissed from the team in November after being arrested three different times. Other arrests include defensive back Kavahra Holmes for simple battery on Oct. 22, 2013 and defensive end Frank Herron for bike theft on April 28.