New president will shape reorganization - lsureveille.com: News

|
||
Sunday 08/30/2015
As storm devastates New Orleans, campus becomes community
Updated: August 30, 2015 - 9:23 pm

On Saturday, Aug. 27, 2005 — two days before Hurricane Katrina made landfall — LSU anounced classes would be canceled Monday.

Comments (0)
more »
Emergency management centers born out of tragedy
Updated: August 30, 2015 - 9:03 pm

When Hurricane Katrina stormed through South Louisiana 10 years ago, LSU administration was unprepared for the Category 3 afflictions they would suffer both during and post-devastation.

Comments (0)
more »
Saturday 08/29/2015
Katrina Voices” event showcases experiences of local leaders and artists
Updated: August 30, 2015 - 1:46 pm

Though a grim tone still lingers around Hurricane Katrina, the Greenwell Springs Road Regional Branch Library in Baton Rouge sought to focus on progress made since the hurricane made landfall a decade ago s event Saturday.

Comments (0)
more »
Thursday 08/27/2015
Student Senate shows solidarity in first meeting
Updated: August 27, 2015 - 11:05 pm

As it installed new legislative officers and began to select committees at its meeting Wednesday night, the 37th LSU Student Senate showed solidarity after an intense campaign semester in the spring.

Comments (0)
more »
Students, faculty say doodling can aid learning
Updated: August 27, 2015 - 11:19 pm

Unless a student is in an art class, drawing during a lecture is usually frowned upon. But certain members of the campus community say mindless scribbling may actually aid the learning process, not hinder it.

Comments (0)
more »
LSU students ring closing bell at New York Stock Exchange
Updated: August 27, 2015 - 10:32 pm

Three LSU finance seniors now have something in common with Jordin Sparks, the New York Yankees and John Cena: They have all rung the ceremonial bell at Wall Street’s New York Stock Exchange, which signifies the start and end of each day’s trading.

Comments (0)
more »
Res Life promotes gender-neutral housing
Updated: August 27, 2015 - 11:17 pm

Trans and other non-gender conforming students still face many challenges in daily campus life, but few can be as frustrating as finding a place to live.

Comments (0)
more »
President Obama visits New Orleans for Katrina’s 10th anniversary
Updated: August 27, 2015 - 11:18 pm

NEW ORLEANS, La. — Standing on ground that flooded with 17 feet of water a decade ago, President Barack Obama praised New Orleans residents’ resilience following Hurricane Katrina and addressed the enduring problems the city still faces at a speech in the Lower 9th Ward on Thursday.

Comments (0)
more »
Wednesday 08/26/2015
UREC moves forward with final phase of renovations, redesign
Updated: August 26, 2015 - 8:55 pm

Outside of the UREC foundation is being poured, steel is being hung and exterior precasts of buildings are being done in order to continue the building’s expansion.

Comments (0)
more »
Childhood Tiger Band fan to serve as drum major in 2015 season
Updated: August 27, 2015 - 12:26 am

Daniel Wendt was 4 years old when he knew he wanted to be in the Golden Band from Tigerland. As he watched the musicians’ promenade from the Greek Amphitheater to Tiger Stadium, he tugged at his uncle’s shirt and told him, “I’m going to do that one day.”

Comments (0)
more »
Board of Regents missing around $60 million in FEMA insurance money
Updated: August 27, 2015 - 12:29 am

The Louisiana Board of Regents may receive around $60 million in insurance money guaranteed by the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Wednesday’s meeting detailing FEMA money following Hurricane Katrina may help solve widespread facility issues at universities across the state, including LSU. However, the funds have yet to be delivered to the Board.

Comments (0)
more »
Tuesday 08/25/2015
Violence, fraternity rivalry mark fall 2015 boys' bid night
Updated: August 26, 2015 - 7:18 pm

Violence erupted Monday night when a fraternity member was hit over the head with a beer bottle while celebrating LSU fraternity bids.

Comments (0)
more »

New president will shape reorganization

LSU structure will be a mix of other universities’ models

Posted: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 9:49 pm

While Tuesday’s Transition Advisory Team meeting was another step toward determining which combination of reorganization models will work best for the University, those leading the transition process say the next LSU president must shape the final structure.

The Transition Advisory Team’s subcommittees and task forces are examining details of the University’s reorganization, and Ohio State University President E. Gordon Gee, who addressed the Team via Skype, advised that many of the reorganization changes should be shaped by the incoming LSU president, whoever that may be.

“I’m not uncomfortable with that,” said Interim System President and Chancellor William “Bill” Jenkins. “I think a completely defined organizational structure is premature.”

SSA Consultant Christel Slaughter said one of the reorganization process’ objectives is to identify what direction the University should take and what that means for each of its components.

“This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity,” said Research and Discovery Subcommittee Chair Jim Firnberg. “We’ve got to get this right.”

Ohio State is one of five “universities of interest” with an organizational structure being examined as a potential model for LSU.

The other universities included in the list are the University of Pittsburgh, Arizona State University, Pennsylvania State University and Texas A&M University.

It is unlikely that LSU will emulate any one of these models specifically, Jenkins said.

“I see these organization charts as models that we can study, but we have to create our own,” Jenkins said. “I don’t believe that at the end of the process, we’ll have a structure that will look like another university’s.”

Jenkins said instead of modeling the University after a pre-existing model, LSU will probably incorporate different aspects from many universities into one that works best for LSU. 

“I think it’s going to be a hybrid,” Jenkins said. “I’d be surprised if that’s not what happens.”

The University’s reorganization, originally expected to be a 24-month process, will be an ongoing process and must include the input from the person who will lead the enterprise, Jenkins said.

“I don’t think we have to have a final organizational chart soon,” Jenkins said. “This will be a work in progress over the coming years. At the end of the day, the final facets of the reorganization need to be attended to by the new president.” 

After an initial address, Gee took questions from the audience about how to consolidate campuses into a cohesive, research-driven university.

“Certain things need to be centrally driven,” Gee said. “Some things are better done at different levels, but there needs to be consistency throughout.”

Tuesday’s meeting was the fourth Transition Advisory Team meeting, and it was the last meeting before the Team will submit a preliminary reorganization proposal to the Board of Supervisors on March 18.

The Team will continue meeting and hearing from external experts until the final reorganization proposal is submitted for the Board’s approval this summer.

|
||