Students mostly unaware of reorganization - lsureveille.com: News

|
||

Students mostly unaware of reorganization

Jenkins says students need to be more involved

Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 6:59 pm | Updated: 10:13 pm, Tue Mar 12, 2013.

Should administrators seek a consensus among students regarding the reorganization process, odds are they will find none.

Despite numerous stories by local and state media and broadcast emails sent by the administration, many students say they do not follow the reorganization process or know little about it.

As the University undergoes reorganization, a new system president and chancellor search is under way while the 10-member Transition Advisory Team is in charge of recommending changes to the LSU System. The Transition Advisory Team members also lead subcommittees that are meant to look at particular areas across LSU campuses that the reorganization could affect.

“Usually, I take all of the surveys, and if I have time to read the broadcast emails, I will. I feel like they’re kind of confusing. It’s too much,” said psychology sophomore Abby Kazik. “I do care about it. It’s important, but right now, I have a lot of other important things going on.”

Jenkins said it is crucial that students know about the reorganization.

“It is vitally important that students are aware and are involved in the shaping of LSU through this reorganization,” Jenkins said. “That’s why we’ve put in great effort to have information about this process readily available for everyone through broadcast emails, public meetings, the LSU2015 website and even an LSU2015 Facebook page.”

Psychology sophomore Kelcee Stallings said the emails are too long and uninteresting.

“Some of the emails are wordy, so I haven’t had the time to read them. When it comes to my email, I go through the important things, stuff going on with my classes,” Stallings said. “[It would help] if they were more concise, easier to understand.”

Cedric Williams, a sophomore double major in physics and math and a Student Government senator who is aware of the reorganization, said there is a better way to get the information to the students.

“Maybe there could be a link on Moodle or myLSU. The emails failed to get across how urgent the changes are,” Williams said. “Apathy is a big thing, especially on a campus like this with so many students. We don’t realize how intensely it does affect us.”

Student Government President Taylor Cox said it is important for students to get involved.

“We’re the agent of change. It’s our money, our decision. Right now, we’ve been paying this money to build this home, but we don’t get to see the home,” Cox said. “We are completely trusting these architects to build this home for us, but we should have established input in the decisions about what’s going to happen.”

More about

More about

More about

|
||