President Alexander pushes tuition autonomy - lsureveille.com: Administration

|
||

President Alexander pushes tuition autonomy

Tuition autonomy could help school save money, Alexander said.

Posted: Thursday, October 3, 2013 6:09 pm

In the past week, LSU President F. King Alexander spoke to the Louisiana Board of Regents and Faculty Senate  prioritizing budget autonomy as the most important issue in higher education.

Louisiana is the only state that has to mandate both the state House and Senate to approve tuition changes.

He said it is important for the University to separate itself from monetary constraints of the state.

“We want to keep our resources in the classroom.” Alexander said. 

Alexander told the Faculty Senate that tuition autonomy could help the school save money.

Currently, House Bill 194 by Rep. Walt Leger III, D-District 91, will give “public postsecondary education management boards” the ability to charge tuition and fees that are subject to house final passage. 

In March, Board of Regents Chairman W. Clinton Rasberry told The Daily Reveille about the state’s particular need for tuition flexibility in the current

economic climate.

“There is no other place for our institutions to go for support. There is no state general fund revenue,” Rasberry said. “The times are really difficult. This isn’t a time for grandstanding. The legislative control over this is the only one in the country. The presumption is they know more about higher education than higher education.” 

The Baton Rouge Area Chamber announced its support for tuition autonomy in higher education last April.

Adam Knapp, BRAC President and CEO, released a statement supporting autonomy given a lack of self-generated funds in higher education.

“It takes talent to breed talent, and it is critical for our higher education institutions to have the funding and latitude necessary to attract and retain talent among their ranks,” the release stated.

|
||