Reveille named best daily college paper - lsureveille.com: News

|
||

Reveille named best daily college paper

SPJ also awards sports writing, columnists

Related Links

Posted: Wednesday, May 1, 2013 11:45 pm | Updated: 12:03 am, Thu May 2, 2013.

The Daily Reveille was named the country’s Best All-Around Daily Student Newspaper on Wednesday by the Society of Professional Journalists in its national 2012 Mark of Excellence Awards.

Along with being named the best daily college newspaper in the nation, two writers on The Daily Reveille staff were named national finalists by SPJ, including columnist Gordon Brillon for General Column Writing and former sports writer and sports editor Luke Johnson for Sports Writing and Sports Column Writing.

“It is such a pleasure to work with this dedicated, professional staff of student journalists,” said professional-in-residence and Student Media Adviser Tim Schreiner. “This national best-in-class award recognizes and validates the approach they’ve taken toward journalism and their LSU community of readers.”

According to SPJ’s website, Mark of Excellence Awards honor the best in student journalism across the country in categories including print, radio, television and online collegiate journalism.

“[The Reveille has] won a national championship that carries with it the same prestige associated with a BCS win by the LSU football team or No. 1 rating in baseball or track,” said Student Media Director Bob Ritter. “The difference is that [The Reveille] earned [its] award over a far longer season.”

The national finalists for Best All-Around Daily Student Newspaper included Indiana University’s student newspaper Indiana Daily Student and The Oklahoma Daily at the University of Oklahoma.

“I’m incredibly honored to see my staff receive an award that they’ve worked so hard for,” said Reveille Editor in Chief Andrea Gallo. “Our goal is always to serve the LSU students and community.”

1 comment:

• Randy Loyd '75 posted at 2:07 pm on Wed, May 8, 2013.

Randy Loyd '75 Posts: 5

Congratulations to the Reveille and its staff of dedicated student Journalists. You make the University proud. Geaux Tigers!!!! All of them!!!!!

|
||