Student fees to potentially fund the operating budget - lsureveille.com: News

|
||

Student fees to potentially fund the operating budget

University students and administrations discussed a proposal to take $1 million from the fiscal year budget to offset Information Technology Services

Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 11:13 pm | Updated: 12:11 pm, Tue Mar 12, 2013.

The Student Technology Fee Oversight Committee proposed to reallocate $1 million from student tech fees to fund operating budget as a result of decreasing state appropriations at its meeting Monday.

Former chancellor Michael Martin first proposed this reallocation in 2010 and it has passed since then.

More money from students will fund the operating budget as a result of decreasing state appropriations, said Interim Vice Chancellor and CFO Robert Kuhn.

Kuhn said if state appropriations increase, this one-time reallocation of funding will be reversed.

If this proposal is not approved, the University will have to come up with another unit on campus to cut $1 million from, Kuhn said.

University Registrar Robert K. Doolos said this plan sounds like the $1 million is being annualized.

“I don’t see any movement [in state funds] at least in the next three years,” Doolos said. “This is not what this money was intended for. Higher education budgets are not going up in any other states.”

Kuhn said he felt the University would grow out of this situation.

Student Government President Taylor Cox said the proposal puts students on the committee in a difficult position.

“We know that if we don’t give this one million to the University, our students will suffer, and we don’t want our students to suffer in any way, shape or form,” Cox said.

Mass communication senior and committee member Andrew David expressed concerns about the reallocation becoming an annual expense.

“I think our biggest fear is that it is going to become an annual expense,” David said.

Taylor also said the students on the committee will review the proposal to make a decision that benefits the greatest number of people.

At the meeting, Mary Feduccia, director of Career Services, proposed to have the technology portion of the Career Services renovation in the Student Union funded by the technology fee.

She said all of the renovation money has been raised with fundraising.

The student technology fee fund currently has $135,000 in unallocated funds, but students at the meeting expressed a desire to fund the center.

Cox said SG will look over the priorities in the center’s construction and fund the center with money from the SG account.

Proposals from this meeting will be approved or denied when members reconvene April 8.

|
||