Students participate in TigerFit Wellness Challenge - lsureveille.com: News

|
||

Students participate in TigerFit Wellness Challenge

Program promotes healthy lifestyles, offers prizes

Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 6:49 pm | Updated: 10:30 pm, Wed Feb 6, 2013.

University students will now have the opportunity to make healthy lifestyle changes and win prizes with the help of the University Student Recreational Complex and the Student Health Center.

The UREC and Student Health Center collaborated to bring students the TigerFit Wellness Challenge, an 11-week program free to students and designed to help them reach their health, fitness, financial and mental health needs, with the opportunity to win prizes by attending seminars.

“By coming together and promoting this program, we are hoping to get more students who would not have used the UREC or health center services,” said UREC Coordinator of Fitness and Wellness Lacee Breeden.

Registered dietitian at the Student Health Center Vanessa Richard said the program is based on the TigerFit Warrior Challenge, a program designed mostly around fitness. The program will consist of 10 weekly wellness meetings. In addition to the meetings, there will be nutrition, stress and relaxation workshops and the Student Financial Management Center will also host a financial wellness seminar.

Richard said the challenge is “something that is fun and easy to do, so [students] can stay on track.”

The participating students will be given a passport to place the stickers they receive for attending each program event. The more stickers students acquire, the more prizes they will have the opportunity to win.

The grand prize will be a custom-made bicycle for the student by a local bike shop. Richard said any student may participate in the activities, but only those registered in the program will have the opportunity to win prizes.

As of Tuesday, 225 students were registered to participate in the program, Richard said, adding that the large turnout may be due to New Year’s resolutions.

International studies junior Chelsea Andre said she does not have specific goals but hopes to get in shape.

“It will help me stay on track more than if I was trying to do it by myself,” she said.

Andre said she believes the nutrition part of the program will help her maintain a healthier diet.

“Right now, my diet is pretty much mac and cheese and ramen noodles. It’s convenience-based rather than anything healthy,” she said.

Biological engineering junior Daniel Rees said he has some more specific goals for the program.

Rees said he is looking to add more workouts to his routine and develop a better diet — one he can maintain on the budget of a college student while still having fun.

“I’m on the cycling team,” he said. “I’d like to get a healthy diet going to support my workouts.”

More about

More about

More about

|
||