Two juniors named Truman Scholars - lsureveille.com: News

Two juniors named Truman Scholars

Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 11:22 pm | Updated: 10:08 am, Thu Apr 11, 2013.

Juniors Catherine Fontenot and Matthew Landrieu have been selected to receive the nationally competitive Truman Scholarship, according to a news release Wednesday.

Fontenot and Landrieu were named Truman Scholars along with 60 other students nationwide. Only six other students in the University’s history have held the distinction. The scholarship offers up to $30,000 for graduate study, admissions and supplemental aid.

According to the release, Truman Scholars are required to provide public service for three of the seven years following the completion of a graduate program.

“We are extremely proud of Catherine and Matthew for their commitment to serving others and working to make the world a better place and are pleased that the Truman Foundation has recognized them with the Truman Scholarship,” said Interim System President and Chancellor William “Bill” Jenkins in the release. “It speaks volumes for the quality and hard work of our students, faculty and staff that two LSU students were honored this year.”

Fontenot, who studies biological sciences, said in the release “it’s a really big step on the way to reaching our goals because our goals are pretty lofty.” She added that the title of “Truman Scholar” will help the two “make real change happen.”

Landrieu studies elementary education. He said the award affirmed their aims to give back to the community.

“More than anything, I’m so excited, and I know Catherine’s so excited, that it’s just one step closer to the communities that we want to serve and to fulfill our purposes,” he said in the release.

|
||