IBM to hold job information session - lsureveille.com: News

IBM to hold job information session

Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 5:56 pm | Updated: 11:21 pm, Wed Apr 10, 2013.

IBM is hosting a “campus blitz” today to target University seniors and recent graduates to fill positions for the new IBM Services Center: Baton Rouge, which will employ 800 people.

Last week, Gov. Bobby Jindal announced alongside University and IBM officials that IBM will open a software development center in downtown Baton Rouge. IBM will have a temporary office location in Baton Rouge until the new center is opened, which is expected to be in spring 2015.

The session is from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. in Room 1106 of Patrick F. Taylor Hall, where IBM will host a short presentation, and break out sessions, as well as network with students, University Recruiting Program Manager for IBM Ashley L. Phillips said in an email.

“It’s an opportunity for students, recent graduates and folks in the community to come and learn more about an exciting career with IBM and the types of jobs that they’re currently hiring for and the skill sets required,” said Director of Strategic Partnerships at the College of Engineering Heather Herman. “They are looking to make their first hires in the next few weeks or so.”

Students visiting the session are encouraged to bring a résumé with a cover letter and can also apply online, Phillips said. Currently three positions are available with IBM: two senior application development specialist openings and one entry-level application development specialist position.

Herman said IBM is mainly looking for students with backgrounds in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering or students with software application or development backgrounds, though students from different disciplines are welcome to attend the session.

Those interested in applying should, however, be familiar with several computer programming technologies including Java, have object-oriented programming skills, should demonstrate technical aptitude through work or related coursework and be willing to live in Baton Rouge, Phillips said.

IBM will host both on- and off-campus interviews throughout April and May, Phillips said.

If students cannot attend the session today, IBM will host a job fair from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. April 23 at the Baton Rouge Marriott.

More about

More about

More about

|
||