Lab school teacher given local award - lsureveille.com: News

Lab school teacher given local award

Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:46 pm | Updated: 11:45 pm, Tue Oct 22, 2013.

LSU University Laboratory School’s Nancy Von Brock has recently been recognized for her involvement in art education across the state of Louisiana. 

Von Brock was named the 2014 Louisiana Art Educator of the Year by the Louisiana Art Education Association, and she officially received the award at the LAEA 2013 Fall Conference in New Orleans, held Friday through Sunday. She also served as the president for LAEA for two years. 

“Through Nancy’s leadership, we have become better prepared in delivering art education to all Louisiana students and ever more committed to art education and its effect on our lives,” said Denise Tullier Holly, current president of LAEA, in a news release. 

Von Brock said she tries to promote the creative process, an understanding of what artists are trying to do and an appreciation for the creative work of others, she said. Her 30 years of teaching experience and National Board Certification in art helps her accomplish this. 

Though the University has no art education program, Von Brock said she believes LSU continues to produce art educators. In addition, she said the school is encouraging the development of creative problem solvers and art consumers. 

She said each age group, from preschool to college students, offers different perspectives that provide new insight in her work.  

“Art is what makes us human,” Von Brock said. “It enriches our lives.” 

One area Von Brock focuses on is working with the State Department of Education to create an online curriculum teachers can use throughout the state, she said. Part of this is possible because the Lab School serves as a demonstration and educational research center. 

The local community is home to creative and talented artists, many of whom attended or were faculty at the University, she said. 

Von Brock received her bachelor’s degree from Kent State University and attended graduate school at the LSU.

|
||

#LSUNews