SG amends its constitution - lsureveille.com: News

|
||

SG amends its constitution

Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:11 pm | Updated: 10:13 pm, Wed Sep 11, 2013.

Student Government assembled for the third time Wednesday evening to discuss and approve amendments to the SG constitution.

“The Temporary Governing Documents Committee spent all summer amending constitution,” Speaker pro tempore Trey Schwartzenburg said. “It is important to get it right this time.”

There are two important changes to SG Bill No. 2, said Speaker pro tempore Schwartzenburg. The first is an amendment added to the constitution that allows the SG president and vice president only two terms.

The second amendment allows the student body president to appoint justices to SG’s judicial branch instead of holding an election.

This was amendeded so the University’s constitution on appointing justices falls in line with all other SEC schools, except University of Alabama, which elects justices, said Sen. Alexande DeBlieux, who sits on the Temporary Student Governing Documents Committee.

“The idea for making amendments to the constitution is for simplification,” Sen. DeBlieux said.

Other changes included consolidating or expanding sections in articles for clarification.

The final step to amending the constitution comes down to student votes in the fall election.

SG Bill No. 1, the bill on student organization funds, was untabled by Schwartzenburg and then quickly tabled again to go the Senate Rules Committees to allow for amendments in rules. This will make the amending process faster instead of waiting to bring changes to the senate floor, Schwartzenburg said.

|
||