Senate votes to amend bylaws to update SG website - lsureveille.com: News

Senate votes to amend bylaws to update SG website

Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2013 1:23 am

With 95 percent in favor, the Student Government Senate voted Wednesday to amend its bylaws to update its website to no longer include voting records.

With the passage of the bill, students will no longer be able to see each senator’s vote corresponding with each piece of legislation on the legislative branch website. Instead, they will now see a percentage of the vote.

Update procedures for each facet of the website has also been changed from monthly to quarterly updates.

The resolution states that SG’s website will include general information, announcements and current editions of SG’s Constitution, Bylaws and Election Code.

According to the resolution, each branch’s website must contain certain information.

All elected officials, staff members or appointees specific to the branch in which they serve, along with their classification and college in which they are enrolled, must be listed on the website, according to the resolution.

The resolution states that an email address for each elected or appointed official and office hours, if that official is required to hold them, must be posted as well. A link to each respective branch and the general SG website, must also be posted.

SG’s website will be divided into five separate branches: legislative, executive and judicial along with newly added sections for college councils and the election board.

The added college councils section will include an electronic copy of a quarterly breakdown of expenditures and an electronic copy of the college council constitution.

The election board’s website, also new, will include a notice of upcoming elections and dates relevant to SG elections, a notice when constitutional amendments are being considered and an electronic copy of all election board returns, complaints and judgments.

The executive branch’s website must include an electronic copy of the executive charter, an electronic copy of quarterly breakdown of expenditures and an electronic copy of communications, which include press releases and policy statements.

The bill mandates the legislative branch’s website include an electronic copy of each piece of legislation filed with the senate office, an electronic copy of a quarterly breakdown of expenditures and a vote percentage corresponding with each piece of legislation.

The judicial branch’s website will feature an electronic copy of a quarterly breakdown of expenditures and an electronic copy of all judicial documents, which include opinions, injunctions and complaints.

|
||