New night service bus route bill approved - lsureveille.com: News

New night service bus route bill approved

SG allocated $12,500 from its Initiative account to fund new

Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:52 pm | Updated: 1:45 pm, Thu Feb 21, 2013.

The Student Government Senate approved a financial bill Wednesday night that will provide students with a fourth evening Tiger Trails bus route in addition to a resolution to adopt an Emergency Response Amnesty policy for students.

SGFB No. 3, written by University College Center for Freshman Year senator Alexande DeBlieux, will allocate $12,500 from SG’s Initiatives Account to the LSU Office of Parking, Traffic and Transportation to fund the new evening bus route that will service students living on Ben Hur Road and Brightside Drive.

The new evening bus will run Thursdays through Saturdays from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. beginning Feb. 28.

The $12,500 that is being allocated from SG will fund the new bus route from Feb. 28 through May 4.

The action taken by SG will fund the Ben Hur evening bus route temporarily, and the bus route will have to be re-funded next semester.

SGR No. 5, a resolution to recommend the implementation of a policy on Emergency Response Amnesty for students, was approved with 93 percent in favor.

The resolution is intended to encourage responsible behavior in alcohol-related emergencies by reducing penalties for accidents involving alcohol or illegal substances on campus — but only if the student in need or his or her peers call for the aid, not if he or she is found to be in violation by campus authorities.

The policy on Emergency Response Amnesty for students is “designed to create a community where students will not hesitate to seek emergency medical attention when faced with an alcohol illicit/controlled substance emergency due to fear of University conduct sanctions,” according to the resolution.

With the passage of this legislation, SG hopes to “increase the likelihood that students will seek first responder assistance for those suffering from the effects of an alcohol or an illicit/controlled substance-related emergency and to reduce the University sanctions upon students, student responder or student organization for infractions of the Student Code of Conduct concerning the consumption, possession or distribution of alcohol or illicit/controlled substances.”

According to the legislation, Emergency Response Amnesty may be granted to students in need of first responder assistance and students who call for first responder assistance on behalf of another individual needing assistance.

Students may only be granted Emergency Response Amnesty once, unless they are calling on behalf of another student in need of medical assistance.

|
||