Brace Yourself Opinion: Ragin’ Cajuns are getting a bit too uppity

Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2013 8:17 pm

It seems the colonials in the northeast and southwestern parts of the state are in a bit of a spat.

There is a growing controversy concerning how the University of Louisiana at Lafayette — more commonly known as ULL — chooses to refer to itself. They have taken quite a liking to the name “The University of Louisiana”, sans Lafayette, a fitting name for a flagship school of the state.

There is just one minor issue; ULL is not a flagship school.

In fact, Louisiana already has a flagship university, whose name inspires awe and dreams of higher ACT scores.

That school is our own Louisiana State University.

To clarify, ULL has higher ACT standards, but the top students at LSU on average score three points higher than those brainiac chili peppers.

The whole spat started when local writers and other media began referring to ULL’s athletic teams as “Louisiana,” much as one would refer to the University of Florida’s teams as simply “Florida.”

Now, for those that don’t know, once upon a time, ULL and ULM were University of Southwestern Louisiana and Northeast Louisiana University, respectively. The state legislature changed this — get that, by state law — in 1999.

Along with the name change came the caveat that any official mention of either school required the city to be associated with its respective school. Legislators agreed on this rule to avoid this exact situation the schools are in now.

While the sports writers’ artistic license tweaked a few noses at ULM, it was for the most part shrugged off.

The real trouble began when the university began picking up on this trend.

ULL’s school website domain name, formerly, is now, an obvious jab at ULM. What’s more, the website details specific rules about the school name.

Among them is a prohibition against referring to the school as UL “in any instance.”

I’m not joking, that’s an actual thing. I sincerely hope that every time I refer to the school as such, an unfortunate future baby Cajun earns their “Ragin’” modifier.

ULL. ULL. ULL. Sorry, kids.

On top of that, the design for ULL’s class rings boldly state “University of Louisiana 1898”; once again, no Lafayette.

Alright ULL, here’s the deal: you are NOT the University of Louisiana. You are NOT a flagship school. You’re barely a half step above that redneck filled community college that you’re having a hormone-fueled quarrel with.

On top of that, your athletics are wanting.

Now, “wanting” used in that sense is a turn of phrase intelligent people sometimes use when they don’t want to say “lacking.”

But seriously, you guys lost to Kansas State.

And please do not try to flaunt your little “Cajun Dome.” Any building that hosts middle school Beta conventions isn’t worthy of being called an athletic facility.

And while we’re on the subject, let’s talk about that mascot of yours. I understand that the region of the state ULL is in is called Acadiana, which is in homage to the Canadians that were pushed out of Nova Scotia by the British, but therein lies the problem: You chose Canadians who lost a war as your team’s mascot.

At least ULM has the remotely badass Warhawk.

In short, stop overestimating yourselves. You are bound by law to be known as a regional school, and you will continue to do so. Now sit down and be quiet, because daddy is home and he’s tired of your crap.

Ryan McGehee is a 20-year-old political science, history, and international studies junior from Zachary. Follow him on Twitter @JRyanMcGehee.

• Jmeaux7 posted at 8:06 pm on Wed, Feb 18, 2015.

Jmeaux7 Posts: 1

The Reveille should be embarrassed that their standards allow this to be published. There is not a shred of value, insight, or intelligence in the entire article. A true "Tiger" would not feel the need to stoop so low. ULL is one of many fine academic institutions in Louisiana and will continue to be, regardless of your childish ranting.

Jason Meaux, LSU Class '12

• Chazzer posted at 2:27 pm on Mon, Mar 17, 2014.

Chazzer Posts: 1

Amen LSUCajunMama! The better our State schools perform, on the field and off, the better for all of us. I'm perfectly fine with wanting to win games including those heated in-state rivalries. But when a team representing our State is in the spotlight, we should all want them to perform well because it is a reflection on the State as a whole.

• LSUCajunMama posted at 1:56 am on Wed, Nov 27, 2013.

LSUCajunMama Posts: 1

I am DISGUSTED with the fact that so many LOUISIANA fans hate each other!!
    I'm tied into this article so many ways...

1. I was born and raised a CAJUN!! I grew up just 25 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico, right smack dab in the middle of the coast line.
    2. I was raised watching and supporting all colleges from Louisiana but when it was my time for college, chose LSU as the best fit for my future career.
    3. After attending LSU for 5 years, moved to Zachary, which is where I currently call home and raise my two boys with my Cajun husband, teaching the boys some Cajun ways of life and a few words.

With that being said, I have plenty reasons to be appalled by this awful article!
    Any fan of one college will have some "hatred" towards another but geez!! Will the trash talking change anything?? You think the funding, grants, scholarships, etc will be effected by who has more fans or haters? LSU became the flagship because it was the college located in the States Capital! Therefore pulling in lots of money and attention thus a larger fan base and popularity...Tis all!! ULL's mascot is a pepper which represents the heritage and culture of the whole surrounding area! The best culture ever! MY RACE IS CAJUN!! ULM has a struggling city's name on the map! All of these are good for the universities....That's what matters most!!

Movies like Waterboy, TV shows like Swamp People and Duck Dynasty are a bunch of crap twisted by what will give the station more ratings! Everyone is intrigued by the Louisiana Culture so lets put it on TV but lets dazzle it up to keep everyone wanting more. Pathetic! The videos I watched in my Cajun French classes in high school are the real shows that should be aired on TV so that ignorant people, like those in the Zachary area, can learn something about the state they live in!! My husband taught at a high school just outside of Zachary and him and I were ALWAYS having to correct or inform the students about the Cajun Way of Life!
    All they knew was from TV. Sad!

Brief history Mr. McGehee:
    French were forced to give allegiance to the Britain, giving up their land or leave
    They fled to Nova Scotia in an area called ACADIE and became the name ACADIANS. Here they provided to French military operations so the British governor and the Nova Scotia Council ordered them to be expelled. They were dispersed between British colonies and France and those who managed to flee migrated to LOUISIANA! (recorded fact that my ancestor was the first to land in Louisiana, just 30 miles south of Lafayette)
    This is where the translation of Acadian transformed...
    Acadian - ah-cah-dee-anh - became cah-dee-anh - cad-jee-anh - ca-jahn - Cajun
    So please...if your going to ridicule a university and post all your 'accomplishments' and location...get your facts straight!! Zachary has been my home since 2005 and since 2004 Zachary's school district has been #1 in the state of LOUISIANA!! I think your Louisiana History teacher would be sadden by your article. I'm sure this is not the information you were taught. I'm sadden to say someone from such a well known school district with such high demand of its students has produced such an incompetent fool to the state.

I'll end by stating, so what this university's scores are higher, so what this university has the most pride, so what this university is picked on more, etc, etc! What matters is that WE ALL have LOUISIANA in our name and in our hearts!!

We all are Louisiana!

• FNMouilleII posted at 12:49 pm on Sun, Nov 17, 2013.

FNMouilleII Posts: 5

Way to GEAUX, JRMCanSMyD!!!
    Correct on all points taken!!!
    And Roll Damn Tide!!! And Nick Saban!!!

• FNMouilleII posted at 12:36 pm on Sun, Nov 17, 2013.

FNMouilleII Posts: 5

And Georgia was un-ranked when they lost to them.

• FNMouilleII posted at 12:31 pm on Sun, Nov 17, 2013.

FNMouilleII Posts: 5

That is exactly right, Rhodes!!!! LSU A&M!!!!

• FNMouilleII posted at 12:29 pm on Sun, Nov 17, 2013.

FNMouilleII Posts: 5

It is usually misinformed LSU supporters, students, and alumni that start "PETTY" rumblings and comparisons.

• FNMouilleII posted at 12:26 pm on Sun, Nov 17, 2013.

FNMouilleII Posts: 5

You are correct, RaginCajun13!!! Most people who support LSU have never attended the university and support it for the wrong reasons. Supporting a university because it has championship athletic teams is not the right reason!!!!

• RaginCajun13 posted at 12:04 pm on Sat, Nov 9, 2013.

RaginCajun13 Posts: 1

WOW!!! I can't even say how this makes me feel. But lets just set a few things straight. First, Lafayette is not a region so how is ULL a regional school?? Second, our class rings do say Lafayette on them. Third, our academics are WAY better! With some of our programs being best in state and even within the top 10 in the country so lets not try and compare academics because many former LSU students have came to ULL and not been able to handle it . But now lets talk about the football teams! Yes we lost to Kansas, but yall have had plenty of unfortunately embarrassing loses, and I think another one is happening tonight. Also lets not forget yall are 13th in your division and we are 1st, so keep talking its hard to hear you from the top anyways. O and lets not forget that we have won the new orleans bowl champion 2 years in a row. So lets not bash schools! Most people support LSU just because they can and as my favorite shirt says " If you see someone wearing a LSU shirt then they probably went to Walmart but if you see someone wearing a ULL Ragin Cajun shirt then they probably went to the University of Louisiana at Lafayette." LSU is a huge ban wagon and thats all.

P.S. GEAUX CAJUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S.S. ROLL TIDE!!!!

• Carol posted at 6:41 pm on Tue, Nov 5, 2013.

Carol Posts: 1

Mais wassa matta, LS'WHO'.... you jealous or sumpin? Why must LSU always behave so petty? You'd think having their coach pick his nose on national TV would be a big enough embarrassment that they wouldn't have to resort to this kind of stuff. Really? Behave like the big boys you claim you are!!!!!

• FUGI posted at 3:17 pm on Tue, Nov 5, 2013.

FUGI Posts: 1

Being a student at UL I find our mascot very fitting and relative to our surrounding culture. We've transitioned from a bulldog to one cayenne pepper unlike lsu's 35 tigers. How many mikes will you go through? Your rant compares the universities' academic levels but then you trash us about losing to Kansas. Lol last I remembered we were New Orleans bowl champions two times in a row. A champ is a champ no one will ever forget that. And by the way a standardize test doesn't determine a student's full academic ability, the ACT is just a test recognized as one of the basic testing tools by all universities. Students are accepted into a college on many other grounds such as scholarship: sports , academic, or minority. GPA's are looked at along with organizational involvement and extracurricular activities. So before you make such a statement, as lsu having a higher ACT score than UL please do your research. UL students are just as smart if not smarter , athletes GPA's are probably higher, we receive lsu transfers all the time but , ends up transferring back because UL's system of education is more challenging than they expected. You should get off your high horse and realize those classrooms of 300, Mac books, tiger cage, and your fancy university stadiums are only for show and tell. Lsu fan base is based on publicity and family tides which ultimately equals a bunch of ban wagoners. Most people that attend that school have no clue why they want to go, they just tagg along, buy a few school shirts, brag about lsu, drop out or transfer, & spend the rest of their time working at a minimum wage job to pay off their school debt, as they tell their friends " oh I'm taking a break I'll go back next semester".
    Last I remember this dispute involved UL and ULM not the incompetent university of wild animals (lsu). You guys will go to any measure to keep tiger nation relevant, but in fact it makes you much more irrelevant. Lol BY THE WAY ,, THANKS FOR CANES... I just love the sauce. Speaking of food you should stop by sonic and purchase a Ragin Cajun burger. It's to die for.

Dear Nanny McPhee always remember grass isn't always greener on the other side. Maybe it's just the location of the sun causing a brighter reflection. A no matter the weather in the Acadian area it's always a great day to be a Proud Ragin Cajun.

• Tajahkenner posted at 10:03 am on Tue, Nov 5, 2013.

Tajahkenner Posts: 1

Lol. This is so petty..

• Rhodes posted at 4:01 pm on Mon, Nov 4, 2013.

Rhodes Posts: 1

Isn't the LEGAL name of LSU actually "Louisiana State University and A&M College" ??? When is the last time that was used??

Also, isn't it a bit pathetic that a "flagship" school has to resort to getting a law passed which keeps everyone else down in order to justify its status? A real "flagship" should not need to put others down or care what UL at Lafayette calls itself. The University of Louisiana at Lafayette, the state's second largest university, has accomplished great things on a national stage WITHOUT the benefit of "flagship" funding or a law putting other universities "in their place." The school wants nothing more than to represent its state and its alumni with pride. Instead, it is attacked as backwater and dismissed by those who dare not envision that some "uppity" school might deserve academic and athletic recongition nationally.

Finally, your racist rant on Cajuns is shameful. The Cajun culture is known throughout the world as a vibrant, positive one. More than a few Cajuns attend LSU A&M. You have insulted the entire state that LSU professes to represent.

• Joey Broussard posted at 1:36 pm on Mon, Nov 4, 2013.

Joey Broussard Posts: 1

I am a Lafayette native and USL graduate (BSCE-1990). The particulars of what people call the university in Lafayette makes no diffence to me, my degree says University of Southwestern Louisiana. I've lived and worked outside of Louisiana for 24 years, and my degree has served me well. It is of course irksome to read Mr. McGehee's comments and there is a natural tendency to return the "favor", but I will give him the benefit of the doubt and consider it the result of youthful exuberance and enthusiasm.

Many people outside of Louisiana have an uninformed understanding of our culture, our State, and its people. More often than not, their understanding of Louisiana is based on "Swamp People", "Duck Dynasty", and "The Waterboy". There are plenty of people that are happy to marginalize us. All of us. Even you, Mr. McGehee.

I support Lousiana. I suspect that you will too the first time someone asks you if you are related to Bobby Boucher.

• deebleduh posted at 12:34 pm on Mon, Nov 4, 2013.

deebleduh Posts: 1

A few questions.

Why pick on ULM? They're innocent in all of this.

Why slam cajun heritage? Seriously, what good came of that? None, that's what. You pissed off a large portion of your readership and your university's fans to bash ULL. Idiot.

Why have the student paper get involved at all? So ULL's throwing another tantrum. It happens three times a semester, just let them sort it out.

While I found the ULL bashing humorous, this article was absolutely pointless. It only serves to further the view that LSU students and fans have an over-inflated sense of importance. While I believe, almost stereotypically, that we actually are head-and-shoulders above everyone else in this state, that doesn't give us the right to lower ourselves to the level of mindlessly (yet hilariously) bashing of another institution. We'd be no better than ULL then. My point is, it's fine if you want to comment on this topic on your personal Facebook page or blog, but using the university paper as your platform is about as reckless and irresponsible as de la Rosa classifying her article as "satire".

• bourmatt posted at 9:40 am on Mon, Nov 4, 2013.

bourmatt Posts: 1

Isn't the LSU mascot named after the Louisiana (Tigers) Brigade which was also defeated in the Civil War. Also, if ULL would be known as a "regional" school wouldn't they still be known as USL. I know Southern Louisiana is a region but Lafayette being a region is new to me.

• redpolitics posted at 9:09 pm on Sun, Nov 3, 2013.

redpolitics Posts: 1

Mr McGehee,
    I am a UL, sorry ULL, student who agrees with you completely. That is just one of the bits of ridiculousness that goes on at my school. I am ashamed to be graduated from such poor instution. Email me. I have much to share.

• ULFAN posted at 1:01 pm on Sun, Nov 3, 2013.

ULFAN Posts: 3

I knew my comment would be deleted.
    So i will not put have capital letters in my words. Mr.McGehee is not only offensive to my hertiage but also is rude and sticking his nose where it doesn't belong.
    Mr.McGehee I suggest you put your nose where it belongs, in the books, and started doing articles about the happenings at your school rather than whats going on at ULL or ULM. Your there to learn not to stir the pot and make others angry. If you want to do a journalist, be sure to really dig deep in research on what you are writing about before you write and it get your facts straight. LSU is not involved between ULL and ULM so I suggest you stay out of it and write what they are involved in on campus. Thank you very much!

• Hannah0416 posted at 11:56 am on Sun, Nov 3, 2013.

Hannah0416 Posts: 1

Just for the record, UL's website states that we cannot refer to the university as ULL -not UL as this writer mentioned.

• theac posted at 10:39 am on Sun, Nov 3, 2013.

theac Posts: 1

"But seriously, you guys lost to Kansas State."

Says the guy whose school lost to an unranked Ole Miss.

• char111 posted at 9:52 pm on Sat, Nov 2, 2013.

char111 Posts: 6

So, all of you editors have a great future ahead of you at The National Enquirer.

• char111 posted at 9:47 pm on Sat, Nov 2, 2013.

char111 Posts: 6

The Reveille has always been, at best, intellectual pablum. This is why "in my day" Jim Gabor et al started The Kiwi, am "underground" alternative newspaper.

• ULFAN posted at 5:44 pm on Sat, Nov 2, 2013.

ULFAN Posts: 3

Seriously Mr.McGeHee,
    You are at LSU to get an education in journalism so you can graduate and get a job in it NOT TO PUT DOWN OTHER SCHOOLS THINKING THAT YOURS IS THE BEST IN THE SOUTH.
    A Degree, Is a Degree, Is a Degree!!! No matter how hard the school is.
    So if I were you I'd stick my nose back in the books and write about what is going on at YOUR SCHOOL which is what your job is when writing articles at YOUR SCHOOL and LEAVE OTHER SCHOOLS to THEIR BUSINESS and leave Your school to yours.
    Because if this is what your learning their then obviously you don't belong to LSU unless you grow up.

• LMATechy posted at 2:04 pm on Sat, Nov 2, 2013.

LMATechy Posts: 2

The writers are not in charge of deleting your comments. The editors are the ones sitting here taking care of that, so don't blame this writer if your comment/opinion doesn't make it on the site.

• LMATechy posted at 1:56 pm on Sat, Nov 2, 2013.

LMATechy Posts: 2

The editors are in control of denying posts, not the writers...

• char111 posted at 1:18 pm on Sat, Nov 2, 2013.

char111 Posts: 6

Don't put too much effort in your comments. Dufus gets to share and delete the ones he chooses.

• char111 posted at 1:06 pm on Sat, Nov 2, 2013.

char111 Posts: 6

Hit a little too close to home, Trombone Boy? Go shine your shoes, moron.

• char111 posted at 1:04 pm on Sat, Nov 2, 2013.

char111 Posts: 6

So he denied my post.

• harrycarry posted at 12:44 pm on Sat, Nov 2, 2013.

harrycarry Posts: 1

title should read "Ragin' Cajuns Proud of Their School... How Dare Them!" This guy needs to get out more

• char111 posted at 12:39 pm on Sat, Nov 2, 2013.

char111 Posts: 6

Puer aeternus couldn't stand the truth of my comment.

• funforall posted at 12:27 pm on Sat, Nov 2, 2013.

funforall Posts: 1

When this guy grows up (if he ever does), he's gonna feel like a total moron. And yea, he misspells brainiac of all words lol

• ProudCajun08 posted at 11:56 am on Sat, Nov 2, 2013.

ProudCajun08 Posts: 1

I would just like to thank you guys for including a picture so if I ever see him in person we can have this conversation face to face.

• Proudcajun posted at 11:36 am on Sat, Nov 2, 2013.

Proudcajun Posts: 1

Again to 337lsu,
    I am a proud Baton Rouge native turned Lafayette enthusiast.
    I am a computer science major at UL and have met numerous students who have transferred from lsu because the computer science department was no where near ours. Have you even looked at the CMPS rankings? I see you have already incorrectly stated the nursing rankings of the state, but you never mentioned the CMPS department. Is that because you know how much better our program is? Of course it is, let's not be silly.
    And to your spiel about the IBM tower in Baton Rouge, don't think they're completely excluding us. I have been to quite a few meetings where IBM executives have spoken to our CMPS department about internships at the IBM tower in Baton Rouge. They may be partnering with LSU, but most probably because of location. I guarantee you there will be just as many UL graduates as LSU working there.
    Your idea of elitism is ridiculous. Have you noticed how none of us Cajuns have come on here completely bashing LSU the way y'all have done to us? Suck it up. No matter how much y'all dislike it, we are a school to be reckoned with and I couldn't be prouder to call Lafayette my home and alma mater.

• Cajunjeb posted at 11:21 am on Sat, Nov 2, 2013.

Cajunjeb Posts: 4

Sarcasmic1: That's the thing about with sarcasm. When you do it so well, it's hard to tell! Sorry about that!

• sleeper posted at 11:19 am on Sat, Nov 2, 2013.

sleeper Posts: 1

This author is such a complete idiot. Makes me ashamed to be LSU alum. Sounds like he's never been outside of Louisiana.

• madmax83 posted at 11:00 am on Sat, Nov 2, 2013.

madmax83 Posts: 1

Insulting approximately 20% of your teams fanbase is probably not the best policy. And it's funny that you want to knock ULL for naming their mascot after a group that lost a war, considering the fact that the Fightin' Tigers are named after regiments of Confederate soldiers from Louisiana, who lost the Civil War last time I checked.

• ccrosswhite posted at 10:39 am on Sat, Nov 2, 2013.

ccrosswhite Posts: 1

He can't spell "brainiac." How ironic.

• AClements posted at 10:10 am on Sat, Nov 2, 2013.

AClements Posts: 1

Whenever I am feeling a little too proud, I try and humble myself by considering that there is always something perceivably bigger, greater, better than I am.

Wait until you move out of the area and people will nonchalantly interchange Louisiana or Baton Rouge or Zachary, referring to you as the "Guy from New Orleans.”

Perhaps unfortunately, when working towards your career, it will not be your Alma Mater that is of the most concern to recruiters but the content of your character. Some of which has now been summarized and cached online.

• kreed117 posted at 10:01 am on Sat, Nov 2, 2013.

kreed117 Posts: 1

I'm an LSU alumni, but grew up in Lafayette. My parents and sister all attended USL/ULL. I've run into this attitude on both sides and it really is quite small minded.

I'm going to give Mr. McGehee a pass on this one, since it's merely an opinion written by a 20 year old college student. The opinion is clearly indicative of someone with an extremely narrow view and limited life experience. Of course, it could also have been written simply to invoke a reaction. Either way, its just silly rambling and nothing more.

• givehim6 posted at 9:50 am on Sat, Nov 2, 2013.

givehim6 Posts: 1

I am an NLU graduate in communications now living in another state. My degree afforded me wonderful, once-in-a-lifetime opportunities that I have parlayed into a successful career, one that spans several years in the media; sales and recruiting for a global company, and human resources/talent retention and recruiting/employee relations for a third company.
    Sadly, I didn't even have to read your bio or see your pic to know that it was written by a young adult barely out of his teen years, with the crush of a daily deadline and ill-informed facts from someone who simply has not lived on this earth long enough to know better.
    Allow me to give you and your editorial staff some well-meaning advice:
    I know this is hard to visualize, but everything you write, do, tweet, Instagram will follow you everywhere forever. It's not so much that you will be job hunting in the near future and an alum of one of these schools might fail to bring you in the door for an interview (or even worse, bring you in as comic relief, and yes, unfortunately, that does happen). It's also that this type of writing with factual errors, small-world thinking and playground name-calling paints you (and the editors who allowed it to be published, because hey, we've got news hole to fill) as immature, which I suspect is probably not entirely accurate. You've let this article give us a (hopefully incorrect) view of yourself.

They always say, "write what you know." Please use your opportunities wisely to expand your knowledge base.

• JRMCanSMyD posted at 8:52 am on Sat, Nov 2, 2013.

JRMCanSMyD Posts: 1

John Ryan,

I try my best to keep to the business that matters to me and my Ragin' Cajun ilk. But every once in a while a (usually spitting and inebriated) fan from your school makes their way over and lays a giant turd in my living room.

I'll keep this brief.

1 - If you're going to study Political Science, start by researching WHY there exists a law that requires schools in Lafayette and Monroe to carry their municipal designation. Simply put, "Daddy" was a little self-conscious that (I guess we're the son in your little fantasy) "Junior" was going to challenge him one day. So he did what any good father would do...he retroactively passed a law forbiding a name change without legislative approval and required that said name change contain a regional designation.

2 - If you're going to study History, learn who the Cajuns are, where they come from, and the circumstances of their arrival in Louisiana. If you want to cook our food, use our spelling of "Geaux," and in general claim Cajun culture when convenient, at least make an attempt to understand the great culture that you're emulating.

3 - And if "Daddy" is going to insist that other schools in the state refer to themselves by their full name, then he really should lead by example. To borrow a phrase from an "uppity" 20-year old blogger, "You are NOT Louisiana State University. You are Louisiana State University Agricultural and Mechanical at Baton Rouge."

Good luck with International Studies. And Roll Damn Tide!

• tummyrot posted at 8:52 am on Sat, Nov 2, 2013.

tummyrot Posts: 1

This is nothing more than an attempt (seems pretty successful so far) at some next level trolling. The writing is poor and the opinions are sadly derogatory. If the intention was merely to be inflammatory than the gentleman succeeds. If in any way the article was to edify, educate, or even be part of a serious discussion, than the blog is a failure. I never thought of these universities as being rivals in any way, but if the competition is representative student bodies, ULL should have no problem competing with this detritus.

• derp posted at 6:51 am on Sat, Nov 2, 2013.

derp Posts: 1

This kid does know that the Cajuns never fought in a war hence the deportation right? Even further that the "tigers" were a regiment in the confederate army-who lost a war? So that leaves one school in the state with the lame decision to name its mascot after people who lost a war. Also if Cajuns are such a home we would appreciate it if your entire university would start saying "go tigers" instead of stealing the super lame Cajun way to do it. As far as the irony that an lsu paper is claiming the stupidity and disbelief that there is a law mandating UL use he regional not even gunna open that can of worms. All in all another fine example of youth being wasted on the youth, keep it up tiger town at this point your prom dress has rank beer all over it and your screaming outside the car window asking why everyone doesn't like you but you'll get there one day.

• steeletort posted at 1:50 am on Sat, Nov 2, 2013.

steeletort Posts: 1

This was embarrassing to read, ask the Reveille to remove this from their site for your own sake. NewsFlash: LSU is quite average academically on the national stage of colleges! What is this superiority belief with this students of this school, I've been going here for a year and a half and still don't quite understand it.

• honduras1 posted at 12:30 am on Sat, Nov 2, 2013.

honduras1 Posts: 1

You can almost feel the hypocrisy

• jamroee posted at 11:35 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

jamroee Posts: 2

• pissed off posted at 11:22 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

pissed off Posts: 1

The only reason that LSU is the supposed flagship school is because a long time ago a bunch of politians were afraid of what would happen if thare was a name change. The reason for this block was not pride, but money. A bunch of elected polititians wanted to make sure that the majority of state school funding went to their precious alma mater. A simple name change was so threatening they blocked it for years. And why bring the Cajun Dome up? Its a venue for the basketball games but is not part of the university. My sister in law went to ULM and my brother to ULL and neither gives a crap about the name. LSU IS NOT THE DAD CAUGHT IN THE MIDDLE HE IS THE BROTHER THAT LIKES TO STIR THE POT.

• 337tigeralum posted at 11:21 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

337tigeralum Posts: 1

I am a petroleum engineer from Lafayette and this couldn't be further from the truth. Our Lafayette location has a hard time luring LSU graduates because we lose all of them to Houston offices (the LSU interns are usually a lot more tested in certain situations due to the practical aspects of their program). Same thing with the accounting department. We usually end up having to "settle" on ULL grads. ULL is a great school (my daughter goes there and is in the nursing program, mostly because she didn't want to move away from her boyfriend or move to New Orleans once she started clinicals) but you opinion is highly inaccurate. I suggest you do research before posting things on the internet.

• jamroee posted at 11:20 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

jamroee Posts: 2

Dear John,
    You just got powned.

• katiestelly posted at 11:15 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

katiestelly Posts: 1

To all UL students, alumni, faculty, staff, and fans who have been so unfortunate as to read the above article, I am sorry for the distasteful, derogatory, and above all ignorant opinion of my fellow tiger(s). Whether University of Louisiana or University of Louisiana at Lafayette, you are still affiliated with a university worthy to be recognized and praised for the education it provides. I am honored to work alongside UL graduates, and I hope that one day Mr. McGehee has the pleasure of doing the same. Keep supporting your school. Wishing you all the best in your academics and athletics!

To Mr. McGehee, you obviously have a way of stirring emotions with your words. How much more powerful a gift would it be if you used your words to inspire! Speak life. Inspire community, not controversy.

Katie Stelly
    LSU Alumna and Lafayette area native

• Jmb0709 posted at 10:37 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

Jmb0709 Posts: 1

Oh really...well I happen to know people that started at LSU then transferred to UL and transferred back to LSU because they said UL was too hard academically...think about that

• posted at 9:32 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

Average LSU ACT Score: 26
    Average UL-Lafayette ACT Score: 23

• Cajuntiger posted at 9:12 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

Cajuntiger Posts: 1

I grew up in Baton Rouge and graduated from USL. I support both athletic programs and universities. I always wondered why the people from Lafayette did not like LSU. Now I know; it is because of elitist jerks such as yourself. You are the type of student that gives LSU a black eye. Get over yourself.

• dcoopwx87 posted at 9:05 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

dcoopwx87 Posts: 1

"...let’s talk about that mascot of yours. I understand that the region of the state ULL is in is called Acadiana, which is in homage to the Canadians that were pushed out of Nova Scotia by the British, but therein lies the problem: You chose Canadians who lost a war as your team’s mascot."

Putting aside the ULM versus ULL issue, I must ask, is it really that shameful to be from Louisiana, Mr. MeGehee? Your writing is piss poor and your arrogance undue. Perhaps you should consider moving up north. The South lost their war too.

An Alumnus from the "Redneck Filled Community College" Up North

• big mike posted at 8:43 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

big mike Posts: 2

too funny....the little boy wannabe man deleted my comment....I guess the truth hurts....rock chalk

• bradbradbrad posted at 8:41 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

bradbradbrad Posts: 1

Lol LSU's ACT scores are high? .... since when is a 22 an accomplishment?

• big mike posted at 8:15 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

big mike Posts: 2

excuse me ...but you mentioned Kansas state....lsu can't hold a candle to them in basketball and never will.....remember Mr. Nesmith was there first coach(the man who invented the game) they are also the alma mater of wilt chamberlain who sports illustrated rated as one of the top ten college players of all time......oh and who was in the final four last year?.....and if memory serves me right lsu doesn't have a light center like the world class one at "UL" that has received international when you start spouting off about how down trodden "UL" is....and second rate ... do your homework....lsu isn't the only major university in LA by a far a cry.....maybe they spend the most on athletics than any other but that is about it.......and though i'm from KS "rock chalk jayhawks"....i'd root for "UL" any day of the week before I would root for lsu ......because in my opinion "UL" is a fine university worthy of more recognition than they get!!

• geauxbie posted at 7:41 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

geauxbie Posts: 1

This is proof that absurdity exist. If you are an LSU student who wants to pound your chest, then by all means do it. If you want to get hot under the collar about some person's opinion, think about it, is it worth it? I am a USL graduate, I have a daughter who graduated from LSU. I am a fan of all Louisiana sports teams. Let a young man who has yet to experience a real life keep his narrow-minded attitudes. I could stack my degree right next to my daughter's degree and there would be no difference. And the individuals who post here about who a company will hire or won't hire depending on where they graduated is entirely misguided. I have seen companies pass on hiring individuals from universities that have a higher ranking than any of these school merely because the individual was not skilled enough. Give everyone a break please!! Don't get me started on rating a university based on their athletics either. I've got plenty to say on that issue and none of it is pretty! Go to the university you want to, learn while you are there and take that education into the workforce and continue to encourage young minds to learn. Be a benefit to society not a negative voice to rile the masses. Brains are a terrible thing to waste.

• cybermoll posted at 7:14 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

cybermoll Posts: 1

Mr. McGehee.

Rather than feed into your misguided inferiority complex...and really what else could it be when one has to devote an article extolling how your school is ever so much better in every conceivable measurable standard...I'd actually like to point out the obvious. It's a shame that after praising the academic superiority of LSU, someone allowed YOU to represent them. Your article may have clued us in to why LSU's ACT standards are lax. If you cannot even understand the very nature of your own state's history, how on earth would you be successful in your stated major? History? Nope. International studies? Preposterous. If you can't even grasp the significance of a culture that is 60 miles away from you, what possible hope do you have of understanding cultures that are not responsible for naming the city in which you currently reside. Keep writing these titillating articles that you are wont to writing. Now "wont" used in that sense is a turn of phrase intelligent people sometimes use when they don’t want to say,,keep writing these asinine, woefully inaccurate immature diatribes. Now keep quiet, because Momma's in the house and she knew more about her home state at the age of 10 than you apparently will ever know or bother to research.

• Bailey posted at 6:50 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

Bailey Posts: 1

Very embarrassing to read. Classless and insecure. Some of the responses defending it are also small ball. People with self respect make sure that those who speak for their school show respect and strength, not defend it because it wears our label. This is not the thoughtful or insightful opinion that should be written by an Lsu community member. I have tremendous respect for and belief in our Baton Rouge campus grads and saddened that this opinion can be supported. I hate to say it but national people make mean and demeaning and untruthful comments about Lsu and our states residents. We're better then to have that same complex internally.

• tdel187 posted at 5:28 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

tdel187 Posts: 1

Dear 20 year old kid with his own writing spot,
    I to am an LSU alum and I'm live in the Lafayette area. And I am a true LSU fan. I would like to place my opinion here right along next to your assanine opinion. LSU business needs to stay in Baton Rouge and don't worry your little head over ULL or ULM. LSU's moniker is will established so go about your little way and mind your manners.
    That is all, go away now.

• cajunmomma2 posted at 5:27 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

cajunmomma2 Posts: 1

The Cajuns (Acadians) were not "Canadians who lost a war". You really need to learn our history before insulting it! We have survived that which was meant to break us down, we made a new life for ourselves after France and then again after Nova Scotia. We cannot be brought down! I am proud and honored to be Cajun! Shame on you for lack of research or lack of intelligence, whichever the case may be.

• CMS6506 posted at 5:08 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

CMS6506 Posts: 1

So by your logic, I guess LSU should go back to calling themselves "Louisiana A&M" then, right? Also, you need to do a ton of research on cajun history as well as lousiana history before you go writing such garbage. Long story short, your university owes its "flagship" status COMPLETELY to suckling on governor Huey P. Long's political and state funding teet for decades. Do a little actual research please, because you really sound like an LSU sophmore here...

• blained87 posted at 4:58 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

blained87 Posts: 1

Coming from Livingston Parish's neighbor, I understand your level of bigotry. If you are actually from Baton Rouge, you were raised with the notion of being "better than". I'm sure. It's not your fault, man. It's not your fault...

Side note: Your negative opinions are far from justifiable. As a UL Lafayette Math Ed. major, of course, I am a fan of my University in all senses, yet I wouldn't be caught publicly talking down to a rival school. It's called "killing with kindness". Next time, try to let your achievements shine and prove that you are better than your opposition. You may make less enemies that way. Speaking of enemies, it may be a good idea for you to steer clear of anything in the Lafayette area for a while. Write that down.

• jbb0360 posted at 4:37 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

jbb0360 Posts: 3

Same thing for LSU fans, big troll mouths. Im a Alum of LSU from Lafayette and this article also talks trash about the Cajun heritage and not just the school. If Cajun fans are trolls this guy is as well. Forever LSU! But im a Cajun by heritage and i consider it to be my ethnicity. Its not just some mascot!

• jbb0360 posted at 4:31 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

jbb0360 Posts: 3

Your from here and you agree with this punk. I went to LSU and im from lafayette. He didnt just make fun of the school. He trashed the heritage of the Cajun people. I think this flagship argument is just stupid! We look insecure and childish with this "Real School" crap! My LSU friends are not more successful or smarter than my UL friends. Sorry. It also took almost all of my LSU friends longer to graduate and that had nothing to do with how hard the school was.

• dbear1963 posted at 4:30 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

dbear1963 Posts: 1

Hey 20 year old opinionated kid from Zachary. Do more thorough research before spouting off about a neighboring University. In 1984, the legislature voted to allow USL to change to UL. However after a couple of months, this was overturned once the LSU political cronies got involved. Either do better research next try or be quiet and study.

• cajun4life posted at 4:28 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

cajun4life Posts: 2

To correct 337lsu,

Per those rankings, University of Louisiana-Lafayette, or ULL, is ranked #166

In this article, LSU is not the correct name used. Louisiana State Agricultural & Mechanical College is the correct name used. Also, where are these rankings coming from?? The person has no work cited as to how he or she got these rankings. So how creditable is this website you are using??

Lastly, you are correct by what the rankings say. But again, how creditable is this website?? It is even stated in their policy, "While we collect and curate other data through extensive research, 100% comprehensiveness and accuracy is not always guaranteed" and "Our team works hard to keep our data accurate and comprehensive, but we encourage our users to help out by registering and adding or editing our data." (meaning anyone can edit this information).

• jbb0360 posted at 4:21 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

jbb0360 Posts: 3

Talk about insecure too. Im tired of my LSU brethren beating this old drum of being "The Real School" we are at the bottom when it comes to academics in the SEC. We may have great athletes but they are beginning to be nothing but illiterate trash.

• cajun4life posted at 3:57 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

cajun4life Posts: 2

To correct you:

In this article, LSU is not the correct name that is ranked. Louisiana State Agricultural & Mechanical College is the correct name.

• LCITSH posted at 3:55 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

LCITSH Posts: 5

What has that to do with this issue? We are not comparing ourselves to LSU, academically or athletically.

• LCITSH posted at 3:50 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

LCITSH Posts: 5

"It's sad how hard they make it to be a hometown fan."

It wouldn't be so hard if you understood the depths some people have gone to to retain their status as "Daddy." If you were passionate about things that matter to you, you may even realize the depths some people go to to stand up for what they feel is right. I am not excusing those who take their battles too far and make personal attacks, sometimes even physical attacks, on those who are opposed to their stance, but you need to take a broader view of the entire situation and do some research, just as Mr. McGeehee should have done.

• bandman posted at 3:45 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

bandman Posts: 1

Talk about ACT scores and requirements to get into the school all you want. Look who is leading the state academically.

Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns student-athletes graduate at the highest rate among student-athletes in schools in both the state of Louisiana and the Sun Belt Conference, according to the Federal Graduation Rates (FGR) statistics, which were released by the NCAA on Thursday (Oct. 24).

That rate is well above the 44% registered by the regular student body. It ranks the Cajuns ahead of second place Western Kentucky (70%) among Sun Belt schools and second place Tulane (71%) among other Louisiana schools.

In addition, Louisiana has a Student-Athlete Graduation Success rate (GSR) of 74-percent and a four-year GSR of 61-percent.

"The mission of the athletics department is to see our student-athletes graduate and working towards that goal is the focal point of everything that we do. Our academic support staff works tirelessly to provide our student-athletes with quality academic support services that aid in accomplishing academic success."

Both the GSR and FGR are based on the number of student-athletes on athletics aid enrolling in school each year. A number of variables may impact these figures, such as student-athletes who opt for professional or educational opportunities outside of their original institution, coaching staff changes, and student-athletes in good academic standing who choose to leave school early.

The FGR is mandated by the U.S. Government and reflects the number of scholarship student-athletes who enter an institution in a specific academic year and graduate from that same institution within six academic years. It does not factor in transfer students leaving or entering an institution; the FGR counts transfers simply as non-graduates and therefore is typically lower than the GSR.

The GSR was developed by the NCAA as part of its academic reform initiative to more accurately measure the academic success of Division I student-athletes by better accounting for the many different academic paths followed by today's college students. It accounts for students who transfer into an institution, and does not penalize institutions that have student-athletes who choose to transfer out while still in good academic standing. The NCAA began collecting GSR data with the entering freshman class of 1995.

• 337lsu posted at 3:43 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

337lsu Posts: 3

Well, as for your other points, IBM is building a skyscraper in downtown Baton Rouge that will have a partnership with LSU's computer science program. Interesting how they didn't put it in Lafayette being that UL's computer science is better, right?

Also, I would definitely hope that a director of nursing or a CEO of an oilfield company in Lafayette would hire UL students. However, most everywhere else in the country would overwhelmingly wish to hire an LSU graduate.

At this point, I'm not addressing the rest of your rant--I just wanted to touch on the academic arguments. Those are the ones that actually matter. Have a great day.

• LouisianaFan posted at 3:36 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

LouisianaFan Posts: 1

In response to the piece in The Vermilion someone mentioned:

The piece is clearly labeled as "satire."

The piece was expressing a wish that ULM would just get over UL's marketing. This piece is an attack piece, from a completely uninvolved party, and is highly offensive to Cajuns.

There are other completely ridiculous things in this piece, but it looks like everyone else has it covered.

• Jay70898 posted at 3:33 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

Jay70898 Posts: 1

I think this is so amusing. As of 3:30pm CT 11/01/13, the ULL schedule page (marked as "Louisiana") at the is filled with LSU photographs.

Also, under galleries in the lower left column, we have the remaining LSU schedule.

• CapsacinNuffSaid posted at 3:30 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

CapsacinNuffSaid Posts: 2

Oh, and if the Californians can get along, why can't we?

CapsacinNuffSaid Posts: 2

Okay, okay. I can see what you're getting at, and I can respect your opinion. However, you must know that the changing of to was never meant to be a jab at anyone else. I heard that we were simply getting mixed up with some other school.
    As for our mascot, there's been worse, and that was a low punch. Give a pepper to any other animal, and they'll all be hurt. Capsacin. 'Nuff said.
    Yes, our team is not the best, but again, there has DEFINITELY been worse.
    Yes, we host middle schools. You got a problem with that?
    The rings have the right to be of historical value. At least they put the date signifying that it was called that BACK THEN.
    And, really, as if there is absolutely no warhawk who refers to their school as "University of Louisiana" during conversation.

I don't know who you've met that has put this idea in your head, but I assure you not all of us at ULL are that ignorant.

P.S. Good luck in Politics. Looks like you'll get along just fine.

• Wiseman posted at 3:29 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

Wiseman Posts: 1

And this will be a great piece of evidence for future employers to look at when this 20 year-old fool is looking for a job. Poor thing, has no clue what he is talking about. He just made a fool of himself publicly. Before you go online and start writing your thoughts about other institutions, why don't you go to history class and learn the real facts behind your poor assumptions? Again, this comes back to the fact that this source of information has no credibility whatsoever in trusting a 20 year-old spoiled brat to publish such a disrespectful and arrogant article. Not good LSU. This is a shame for the institution and this is a shame for the people who this student works under. Things like this hurt the school's image and create more anti-LSU people. Such a shame!

• sharkeycox posted at 3:27 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

sharkeycox Posts: 1

Heck USL can't even beat McNeese in football!

• Dtpayton posted at 3:12 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

Dtpayton Posts: 2

Ask a director of nursing or an oilfield CEO which school they are more likely to want graduates from and they will tell you UL. Thank you for proving my other points, by the way.

• foreverlsu11 posted at 3:10 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

foreverlsu11 Posts: 1

The university is allowed to discontinue the use of “ULL” should they wish as there is no system rule against it. That said, they may not be allowed to use UL Lafayette which they list as the appropriate abbreviation on their media website ( See Section III B-C:

Second, LSU does have higher ACT requirements than the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. This is a technical difference based on the standards set by the Louisiana Board of Regent’s. ULL uses these standards as the sole basis for their automatic admissions while LSU adds additional requirements.
    The Board of Regents requirement for LSU is a 3.0 or a 25 ACT Composite while the requirements for ULL are a 2.5 or a 23. LSU’s Academic Standards committee added the 3.0 AND a 22 ACT Composite to ensure the quality of the entering class. This is where the discrepancy comes from.

• JCaro posted at 3:00 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

JCaro Posts: 1

I made an account specifically to correct this article.

The University of Louisiana at LAFAYETTE's Facebook page even says this in the About section:

University of Louisiana at Lafayette has been the formal and official name of the University since 1999. UL Lafayette may be used as an abbreviation to refer to the University when clarification is necessary.

• Do not refer to the University as ULL in any instance.
    • Do not use the terms Lafayette or U of L, as they denote other institutions.

Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns® is the nickname of the University’s athletic teams. Teams also may be referred to using shorter versions of that nickname. In most cases, Ragin’ Cajuns plural is proper, though Ragin’ Cajun in the singular form can apply.

Unacceptable Styles
    • Laf or L (instead of Lafayette), La or LA (instead of Louisiana)
    • Hyphens or commas in the name, abbreviation, or nickname
    • Ragin Cajuns (without the apostrophe)
    • Lady Cajuns (former name of the women’s teams)

What is a "flagship" school anyway? Is that a codename for "arrogant smarty pants brats", like at LSU? If so, I don't want to be that anyway. And the Cajun Dome IS for conventions... BUT there's another dome not a few hundred feet away, for basketball games, and RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET is our football field. You fail. On the mascot, it is explained on the mascot's WIKIPEDIA page: "Instead of being a physical representation of Ragin' Cajuns, like most mascots are, Cayenne is the embodiment of the Ragin' Cajun spirit of Acadiana." YOU. FAIL. Go back to your dorm and do your homework.

• 337lsu posted at 2:56 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

337lsu Posts: 3

To dispel more Lafayette lore:

Per these rankings, LSU ranked #166 in nursing... curiously, ULL was not ranked.

Per these rankings, LSU is ranked #7 in petroleum engineering and ULL is not ranked.

Per these, LSU is ranked above ULL in P engineering, too.

• Sarcasmic1 posted at 2:48 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

Sarcasmic1 Posts: 3

Having a bit of ironic fun at the expense of our buddy John Ryan (hey...he's got 2 first names).

• jslim posted at 2:45 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

jslim Posts: 1

None of this really matters because all 3 schools still have "Louisiana" in the name, which I believe is French for "inferior to Texas".

And to the LSU fans: Before you start screaming about the greatness of your 2 sports teams, remember that the goal of most universities is to achieve greatness in academics. You are far from this. Become a member of the AAU and then we can talk about ACT scores.

• Sarcasmic1 posted at 2:38 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

Sarcasmic1 Posts: 3

Cajun, Creole, and Bubba....please take a moment to make note of the moniker SARCASMIC1. My comment was written ironically...replace the word Lafayette in my post with the word Baton Rouge. The entire piece was sarcastic.

• Dtpayton posted at 2:30 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

Dtpayton Posts: 2

Many others have shared points that I would echo, so I will add just a few points. You bring up a point about how UL Lafayette is trying to be "the flagship school" in Louisiana...I am not sure where you get your information, but much like many other states (Washington, Michigan, Iowa, Pennsylvania) including a state you mentioned - Florida, have separate University and State University systems. The difference here lies in what can only be described as raging (ha ha) insecurity on the part of those who insist on beating the drum of LSU as the flagship school. To be fair, LSU is the flagship school, of the Louisiana State University System. Maybe you could rifle through all those board of regents rules you referred to, and you would find that UL Lafayette is in the University of Louisiana system, not the LSU system. Maybe you could run to your mom's room (feel free to paint yourself purple and sing that obnoxious fight song as you skip down the hall) fire up the Google on her computer and search for the evidence that backs up my claims if you don't believe me. Further, I doubt students at Florida State, Penn State, Iowa State or others care one iota that there happens to be another college system within the state where they reside that happens to do the same thing with their names that you are bitching about here. You took further jabs at the academic prowess of LSU compared to UL Lafayette - something that, if true, makes me wonder if you truly attend, or can even spell LSU. Sure, LSU is known regionally for its law school...but everybody knows the better one is at Tulane. Meanwhile, UL Lafayette is known nationally ranked for its petroleum engineering, computer science and RN programs. I guess I would be remiss if I failed to congratulate you on LSU's regular appearance the nations "best party schools" list. You mentioned that the use of the UL name was "an obvious jab at ULM," however you didn't mention that UL Lafayette has more research dollars than all of the other schools in the UL system - combined. You mentioned athletics and how the UL athletics leaves its fans "wanting." I guess if winning the conference, and subsequent bowl games two years in a row is your definition of "leaving them wanting," maybe you are right. Maybe UL fans would be happier scheduling out of conference games versus the likes of Furman, UAB and Kent State and always at home, rather than traveling to play at a BCS opponent's home field. I guess you are happy with your grass-chomping head coach and his obvious lack of understanding how the fourth quarter clock rules work. You also mention that UL Lafayette uses the URL for its web site. I would call that an effective branding tool (you must not count marketing or advertising among your "triple major.") Your comments about the Cajundome are laughable, considering your equivalent is the PMAC. I could go on and on, but I will end with this. If your intent here was to come across as a trite little worm, you succeeded. If your intent was to uphold the notion that LSU sports fans are a bunch of assholes, you succeeded. If your intent was to underline the comical insecurity you clearly suffer from, succeeded. If your intent was to suggest that UL has some sort of inferiority complex, you failed...your cute little column here reflects little more than your obvious odor of vinegar and spite.

• Stanley Miller posted at 2:27 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

Stanley Miller Posts: 1

I'm very disappointed by what I've just seen here. Learned people of Universities, reducing themselves to finger-pointing, name-calling, and insults. I'm a student of UL, and I'm damn proud of it. As an Education Major, this is one of the best places I could be! Also, the comments about culture have no grounding at all. I've encountered so many diverse cultures and people on this campus, and any other student would tell you the same. But what is the most saddening is the jab at the history of Cajun culture. You mean to tell me that people of our state are actually denouncing it's Cajun history? It's both shocking and disheartening. One more thing - the comment about the Cajundome. Hosting events other than sports? Yeah, we do that. You know why? It's called giving back to the community; a lost art these days, apparently.

I would have hoped for something so much more mature from a person of University education. I suppose I was wrong to expect so much.

• LCITSH posted at 2:25 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

LCITSH Posts: 5

Aww, I'm sorry. I guess it's impolite to remind someone about inferiority. You censors might want to remember that. But if you do, then you might have to remove this wonderful editorial piece.

• 337lsu posted at 2:07 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

337lsu Posts: 3

I'm from Lafayette and consider myself a fan of BOTH schools. However, I 100% agree with this article--mostly because I know it angers that select percentage of ULL fans that talk about LSU fans ALL THE TIME. It's about time it was addressed by our side of the equation.

I went to LSU undergrad and will eventually have multiple degrees from the school, so I am biased. But I think that this is pretty much what their rotten apple fans need to hear. The cheering against LSU in every major game, the taunting of LSU fans for choosing to leave Lafayette for even 4 years to go to school, and the overall unfounded hatred for LSU is truly remarkable. This is an overgeneralization to a degree because many of their students don't care at all or are actually LSU fans--but if you know a substantial number of ULL fans, you know that there are more than just a hand full of trolls... there are THOUSANDS of them. If it wasn't for ULL people being such trolls about LSU all the time, I'd call them UL. However, a few bad apples truly destroy it for the whole bunch. It is that percentage that hate LSU so much that make me choose to call them ULL.

It's sad how hard they make it to be a hometown fan.

All of the Lafayette lore about how your friend's mom's aunt's cousin's dog's groomer's LSU friend was once drunk and did X, Y, and Z to you while at an LSU game just "cheering on your cajuns" is not true. I stopped listening to those stories a loooooooooong time ago.

Geaux Tigers and Cajuns (the non-troll ones)!

• LCITSH posted at 2:02 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

LCITSH Posts: 5

Says the one who is inferior.

• bubbajones posted at 1:54 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

bubbajones Posts: 1

Oops...take a look at this link Looks like LSU is actually an A&M school. Maybe we should start referring LSU as LSU&AM.

• bgonz13 posted at 1:36 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

bgonz13 Posts: 3

ULL has an inferiority complex

• Liz posted at 1:36 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

Liz Posts: 1

Aww you're cute...

I attended LSUA&M for 3 years and I'm so glad I left because you all think y'all fart glitter!

Yeah, well call me when LSUA&M doesn't get their butts handed to them at the Cotton Bowl or by Ole Miss!

• BayouCuz posted at 1:26 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

BayouCuz Posts: 1

Hmm. Where to start. I guess by stating the obvious: you do know, little man, that you are attending Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College. You know, one of "those A&M" universities. The sad part is you tore into them without realizing you attend one. Secondly: you tear into a life that you do not understand. The Cajuns have been around long before you were even a twinkle in your daddy's eye and will be around long after you are worm food. Ours is a celebrated history, full of music and dancing and celebration--a history that your little pissant article cannot even begin to taint. We Cajuns celebrate our differences and our uniqueness because that is what makes us US: the hardships our ancestors endured, being exiled from France, and then Nova Scotia, working their way down the Atlantic Coast, around Florida, through the Gulf and settling in present-day Acadiana. You have no idea what kind of heritage you insult when you lob your little wordbombs at the Cajuns. McGeehee--Irish, right? So your folks are failed potato farmers? Indentured servants here in the States? How would you like it if I made those types of assumptions about your heritage? It probably has no effect on you. You're a "journalist". No. Not true. What you are is someone who wrote a piece for an opinion page and got a bunch of Cajuns pissed off at you and rightly so. You have insulted our great-great-great grandparents and their grandparents. You really want to get into this? If LSU is so above us, why in the hell do you usurp the language of our heritage and use the term "GEAUX TIGERS"? Anything with "eaux" is Cajun. Arceneaux, Boudreaux, Comeaux, etc. You get me?
    I'll get off the soapbox now. You owe us Cajuns an apology. I highly doubt we'll get one. Because you think you're right, and standing on journalistic integrity, you won't. But here's the thing. You messed up several times in your article. Your editor(s) didn't vet your article. Your errors are now their errors. In that case, all of you allowed something that was sloppily written to be printed. And something else--your jealousy of an entire group of people is duly noted. If I were you? I wouldn't dare show my ass in Acadiana. We are much better hosts than folks in Baton Rouge, but there are exceptions to every rule--and you are that exception.

• Lil'Creole posted at 1:17 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

Lil'Creole Posts: 3

Lack of culture coming from someone who lives on the other side of the Atchafalaya goes to prove that people in Baton Rouge are just gray area at all....just stupid

• Thetruth2005 posted at 1:14 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

Thetruth2005 Posts: 1

Funny how ULL's student paper wrote an article demeaning ULM last week and now they are getting the same treatment from LSU. To quote from ULL's student paper, "Sucks to suck."

Here is the link to that beautifully written article.

• twinrova posted at 12:57 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

twinrova Posts: 2

As an LSU alum, I completely agree.

• amorgan posted at 12:48 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

amorgan Posts: 1

This kid isn't even old enough to order a drink on his own; who cares what he thinks?! Go back to Tigerland and enjoy your "Tiger superiority" with your fellow comrades in purple fishing shirts and Sperry Topsiders. While your "flagship school" is steadily declining in academic performance, GPA and ACT admission requirements, and overall "public perception," UL(L) has exhibited steady progression and I don't foresee that stopping anytime soon. No one here cares about what's going on in Baton Rouge, so quit worrying about what's going on at a school you've probably never even seen in person. Do us a favor-- dig deep and try to find something interesting going on in Baton Rouge to write about. I know it will be tough, but I'm sure you'll manage.

• twinrova posted at 12:45 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

twinrova Posts: 2

"Articles" like this are why students/alums don't take the Reveille seriously anymore. This is completely tasteless and does not reflect the feelings of the majority of students or alums. It makes no difference to most LSU fans what UL calls themselves. We aren't rivals unless we're playing each other. Support Louisiana schools until that time comes.

• Cajunjeb posted at 12:35 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

Cajunjeb Posts: 4

You are the exact reason why people hate LSU so much. You don't have a clue about what you are talking about. Why don't you stop by Lafayette. If you can't find culture, which by the way, will be right in front of you, then your head is truly shoved up your hole!

• Bd147 posted at 12:33 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

Bd147 Posts: 1

In my opinion, people get offended way too easily. But anyway, responding to this article, if you are offended by it, will do absolutely nothing but give attention to the writer. The only accomplishments of responding to this article are: (1)entertaining people like me (thanks btw) or (2) ticking more people off. I think I accomplished number (2) with my post.[thumbup]

• lachenaye posted at 12:08 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

lachenaye Posts: 1

I find it interesting that your thesis of UL getting uppity is followed by your tribute to the awe and majesty of LSU. I have graduated from both schools and can tell you that the level of majesty you place on LSU is limited to this state alone. On the national table, no one notices a difference because they are ranked similarly in research productivity. I would instead focus on the fact that Louisiana has multiple high performing research universities and not squabbling over this ridiculous flagship idea. In addition, I find your ethnic slurs offensive and would like you to reconsider the use of "eaux"s at the end of football marketing. Your article lacks significant fact checking. For example, the website has been in effect for over 10 years. This is not a jab at LSU or ULM. In addition, the university of Texas system allows UT to be referred to as "Texas" despite it's full name, which highlights a significant flaw in your argument - school name laws do not apply to sports teams in all instances.

• Sarcasmic1 posted at 12:00 pm on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

Sarcasmic1 Posts: 3

I can tell you exactly what is causing those folks in Lafayette to get "all uppity"...lack of culture. That's right, I said what everybody knows...Lafayette has no culture. Sure...they have a good football team, but its embarrassing how their entire identity is centered around that 1 aspect of life. I mean really, you can identify them by their preppy dress: team colored polo (with optional popped collar), khakis, and boat shoes. The only question is which of the two team colors will the polo be. They are all so shallow. Most of them go by two first names too!! Have you ever noticed that? Like Chad Ryan, or John Chad, or Ryan get it. I feel sorry for those people in Lafayette actually. It must be really hard existing in a state which contains some truly culturally rich cities, yet there they are void of all substance. Thank goodness they have their football team, cause without that....I shudder to think. They do have 1 thing going for them least they aren't an A&M that is truly something to be embarrassed by...I'd certainly try to omit that from my school name!

• Paul posted at 11:59 am on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

Paul Posts: 1

I'm a UL (or ULL) alumnus, and I attend events at both schools fairly often. I have friends that go to both schools. I wanted to go to LSU (but didn't) and have zero things against the school. I would consider myself an LSU fan.

That said, it's an absolute shame that this column was given the light of day by the Reveille. It's terribly written even if you're on the same side of the issue as McGehee. Secondly, you'd think a "20-year-old political science, history, and international studies junior" would have more sense than to insult an entire culture of people by referring to them as "Canadians who lost a war" which is both factually wrong and culturally insensitive.

The descendants of those people have made every attempt to prosper in south Louisiana for the past 200 years, and instead of recognizing that fact, McGehee brushes that aside and uses that as an insult. Just plain terrible. I'd expect history majors to be interested and inspired by the story of the Acadian people and would want to learn about their history and their story, but apparently McGeehee only wants to know enough about it to put little brother down.

The argument could have been made much better.

Terrible scholarship. Terrible journalism. Irresponsible editing. I wish I could say I expect better out of the Reveille.

• MrsRaginCajun posted at 11:48 am on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

MrsRaginCajun Posts: 2

First of all... This is so unnecessarily rude!

Second of all... Someone needs some schooling on the ancestry of the Cajuns. We were French that were exiled to Nova Scotia, and then exiled again to South Louisiana. We are not "Canadians who lost a war" we represent a proud people who overcame adversity.

I am proud to be an actual decendant of the Cajun people and I am even prouder to be a third generation, two time graduate Ragin' Cajun!!!!

• InformedCajun posted at 11:43 am on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

InformedCajun Posts: 1

"You chose Canadians who lost a war as your team’s mascot."

You are clearly grasping at straws to stuff your word count. The irony of your trivialization of Cajun culture is that Baton Rouge is the most culturally bankrupt area of Louisiana.

• ashleymarie53 posted at 11:35 am on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

ashleymarie53 Posts: 1

I think you need to get a have no clue what you are talking about...people like you are the reasons I am a UL graduate!!! So please go do something worthwhile with your time!!

• Evan posted at 11:32 am on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

Evan Posts: 2

Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College

• Kaylah posted at 11:31 am on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

Kaylah Posts: 1

As both an LSU alumnus and a Cajun, I find this offensive and culturally insensitive.

• Evan posted at 11:28 am on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

Evan Posts: 2

Clearly just a troll to get more views on the website, but I'll bite.

If UL has to go by ULL then LSU has to go by LSUAMC

Tell me the difference.

• Lil'Creole posted at 11:28 am on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

Lil'Creole Posts: 3

Well, we will be sure to keep that in mind Louisiana State University A&M at Baton Rouge......I mean since we want to be politically correct and all.....

• Lil'Creole posted at 11:20 am on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

Lil'Creole Posts: 3

Yes yes.....We will all be sure to keep that in mind
    Louisiana State University A&M at Baton Rouge.....since we all want to be politically correct and all

• MrsRaginCajun posted at 11:14 am on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

MrsRaginCajun Posts: 2

Thank you for educating this ignorant person on the Cajun ancestry. We are proud people who overcame adversity! On top of that it is the most unique mascot in all of college football! I love being a Ragin' Cajun!!!

• Cajunproud posted at 10:59 am on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

Cajunproud Posts: 1

Listen, man. I don't care what you think about the name change. I don't. But this whole thing is so offensive. You brush off an entire culture as "Some Canadians who lost a war"? There's so much more to my culture than that. We were persecuted and suffered and driven out of Canada. Families were torn apart and never saw each other again. People died. All because England wanted us off their good farmland.

But we didn't complain. We sucked it up and settled in the one area that would take us. Louisiana. The only reason the state took us, the only reason that this place ended up being home, was because no one else wanted it. It was swampy as hell and wild to match. We didn't care. We called it home and settled here. Stuck to ourselves for a few hundred years while a country formed around us.

My grandparents were beaten, BEATEN, when they tried to speak the language that their parents had taught them when they went to school. For close to fifty years we were told as a people that speaking French made us lesser people. We took it in stride, like we do for most things.

The point is, son, you really shouldn't go dismissing an entire culture like that. Your ignorance is showing and you really should be ashamed. I would highly encourage that you print a retraction or I (and I wager a lot of folks like myself) will continue to be VERY offended by your words.

Tell me this: Would you refer to Native Americans as "Some aboriginals that got beat by colonials"?

• LouisianaBaker posted at 10:51 am on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

LouisianaBaker Posts: 1

First off, ha.

This is such moronic 20-year-old babble it's barely worth humoring. But i feel the need to acknowledge that this clown is everything that is wrong with Louisiana sports fans.

I certainly don't think you represent the view of your fellow Tigers - but you have nothing to base this opinion on, other than you overplayed "LSU is the best" argument. You are in whatever year of college now and think that getting blasted at on Saturdays and trying to get some sorority girl to regretful hook up with you makes you the voice of your school, but you are wrong. You are not the history and tradition that makes LSU what is it - you are just another kid who didnt want to move too far from mommy and daddy.

UL being successful and nationally recognizable is good for the state, and certainly good for another community that ISNT Baton Rouge - or in your case Zachary, LA. ha.There's a lot more to it that just football. Come on dude.

I'd like you to revisit this piece once you are old enough to drink and with a little more thought. Hell, you might even decide to move away from mom and dad one day!! what a crazy thought!!!!! When you do that, you'll realize that it's important for the state to thrive, not just your little bubble.

• LCITSH posted at 10:38 am on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

LCITSH Posts: 5

Thanks for the laugh. Please keep this available for a while, I sometimes enjoy seeing people make fools of themselves. Please keep in mind that your opinion is worthless to people who matter.
    Awe and dreams? Of kitty cats? Please.
    I don't need to justify the use of our name to you, since you don't want to use the name of your school. You do know the name of your school is Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College at Baton Rouge, don't you? The "spat," as you call it, started before you were born, and did not involve the school in Monroe at that time. Do your research.
    As you said, the references to the school are required by law, but the references to the teams are not. As a college student, you should understand the differences. Your teams are called "LSU" for a reason, it's no different with any other school.
    You have no idea why the legislators "agreed" to do this, you did not do your research or, if you did, you chose not to disclose it here.
    Sports writers' artistic license: have you heard of freedom of the press? How about freedom of speech?
    [rolleyes] Thanks for the childish rant. You know that you're not sorry, so don't apologize when you aren't sincere.
    Thankfully, you are not the University of Louisiana, and since you aren't, we can call ourselves whatever we want and so can whoever wants to call us the University of Louisiana. Got to love that constitution.
    "Wanting/Lacking," either one, makes no difference. It's not like your teams have won every national championship in every sport throughout your entire existence. Since you couldn't win in Oxford this year, we'll see if we can't take care of that next year.
    We don't have to flaunt the Cajundome. Everyone knows it's in better shape than the "House that Pete Built." No wonder he had to go to California to play basketball, he didn't want to be caught dead in Baton Rouge.
    Comparing Cajuns to birds with no claws, that's rich.
    Please, by all means, continue to underestimate us. It's not like we need your respect when your ignorance will do just fine. Emancipation from "daddy" feels real good.

• Ajmelancon posted at 10:34 am on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

Ajmelancon Posts: 1

Who cares. Why don't you go to class and be productive.

• Cajunjeb posted at 9:43 am on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

Cajunjeb Posts: 4

John Ryan, why do you think LSU students would give a flip about what UL wants to call itself? Why do you find this is important? Did people from Lafayette wrong you in some way? Did a girl from UL do you wrong and you want to take out your frustrations? Why do you care?

I am a UL graduate (and a former LSU student). What we want to call ourselves is our business, not yours. We know LSU is the "flagship". We know LSU is the "king of the mountain". So why write the piece? Why stick your nose somewhere it doesn't belong? Are you worried about us? Do you think we are taking away some attention from you? I generally wouldn't care about what a 20 something year old college student would say, but here's my point. Just because you have the forum, doesn't me you should jump on it, especially if it has no relevance to you or your readership....or does it?

• Mr Sterile posted at 8:31 am on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

Mr Sterile Posts: 3

LOL, LSU for the win yall!! haha those guys in lafayette, wow let me tell you--you live in lafayette smh!! geaux tigers

• Cajunjeb posted at 5:49 am on Fri, Nov 1, 2013.

Cajunjeb Posts: 4

Why do you think this article was important for LSU students? Do you really think LSU students really care about what UL calls itself? Did you date a girl from UL who did you wrong? My point it. Stay out of it. This doesn't involve you.

Opinion Vlog: Gameday Trash

The Daily Reveille Opinion Editor Gordon Brillon makes one final plea for the LSU community to...

Opinion Vlog - Celebrity Nudes Leak

As you probably know, a number of pictures said to be nudes of various celebrities have recently ...

Opinion Vlog - Guinness World Records

The Daily Reveille opinion staff show off their skills and break world records.

Twitter feed