Our View: 'One hour and 20 minutes' is a lie, Monday a failure - lsureveille.com: Opinion

|
||

Our View: 'One hour and 20 minutes' is a lie, Monday a failure

Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 11:18 pm

One hour and 20 minutes.

That’s the amount of time University administrators and police forces across the state keep uttering when they estimate how long it took everyone to evacuate campus after three bombs allegedly set to detonate around 12:30 p.m. were reported to police.

Ignore the incredible volume of tweets, Facebook statuses and angry students who claim to have been caught in traffic for hours. If our administrators say it took an hour and 20 minutes to evacuate, what’s there to argue?

But the number is wrong, and Monday’s evacuation was a failure that should not be praised.

Some students reported creeping down campus roads after an hour in their cars, only to abandon their vehicles to start walking or give up entirely on leaving campus.

As late as 1:30 p.m., students were tweeting pictures of cars still in line on Highland Road and reflecting on the four hours they had spent in their cars with no luck getting anywhere.

How University officials and police formed such an egregiously incorrect estimate of the time it took for campus to be clear of students and traffic is unknown.

A simple online search shows just how wrong they are.

Even if campus would have been cleared in an hour, lives still would have been lost if William Bouvay Jr.’s threatening phone call had been true.

A poll on The Daily Reveille’s website shows that 56 percent of 265 students who answered said they were not able to leave campus after an hour of waiting. In Bouvay’s phone call, he said the bombs would have detonated in two hours, and students weren’t told to evacuate until an hour after he cried wolf.

But instead of taking responsibility, acknowledging their mistakes and using this as a lesson for the future, University officials seem to be ignoring the utter failure that could have cost tens of thousands lives on Monday. Instead, our leaders are endlessly patting each other’s expensive suit-covered backs.

To some degree, there’s no one to blame for the hellish gridlock. This is the first emergency of its kind the University has seen, and a flawless execution was impossible.

However, our University leaders and police officials will be at fault if they don’t wipe the satisfied grins off their faces and realize that Monday was a frightening experience for students and their families.

We were lucky that day, and while it should be acknowledged that police have done outstanding work to bring the man responsible for this crime to justice in fewer than two days, the madness that unfolded Monday is no cause for celebration.

“We have the opportunity every Saturday night in the fall to continually look at how we evacuate this campus after football games,” said Louisiana State Police Superintendent Michael Edmonson at Wednesday’s news conference. “I think we beat it on that particular day here this week with this call coming in.”

We cannot consider Monday a victory.

If the University cares about the students, faculty and staff of this campus, what some have called “our greatest assets,” our leaders will own up to this fault and start correcting it now, before the possibility of lost lives becomes reality.

3 comments:

• PS posted at 3:53 pm on Fri, Sep 21, 2012.

PS Posts: 1

LSU has an evacuation policy:

"An emergency that dictates the evacuation of the entire University will be handled in conjunction with the emergency procedures of the City of Baton Rouge and the surrounding communities. People who have their own transportation should listen to radio, television, and e-mail announcements identifying the designated exit routes from campus. Members of the campus community who depend on public transportation should congregate at the nearest bus stop, unless the area has been restricted. In that case, they should find another bus stop or call campus police for instructions. If the emergency involves a spill or release of airborne contaminants, sheltering in place may be used in lieu of evacuation. In such cases, the building coordinator/senior administrator will be notified and asked to spread the word."

This policy is posted on the LSU Emergency Preparedness website here: http://www.lsu.edu/ur/lsu_safety/EmergencyInformation/EmergencyProcedures/item2977.html

2 observations:
    1) To my knowledge, the campus community was never informed of any "designated exit routes." It would have been very helpful to have a plan with those designations in place, and to have it communicated clearly. I'd also like to know why this part of the plan didn't happen.

2) The implication in the extant policy is that we are expected to evacuate using motor vehicles. If that is the expectation, then LSU needs to come up with a plan to make it happen much more efficiently. But that expectation may not be practical.

• FleurDeTiger posted at 12:46 pm on Thu, Sep 20, 2012.

FleurDeTiger Posts: 1

I listened to (one) of the pressers. - Never did the officials say that everyone was safely off campus within that hour. Never did the officials say that traffic was clear, or even flowing smoothly. - What they DID say was that all of the buildings were completely clear and everyone was in the process of leaving campus during that one hour time frame. What they DID say was that in this hour, after students and faculty had been safely removed, the search for bombs began.- This is op/ed an example how things get blown wildly out of proportion, how misunderstandings occur. - Of course, improvements can and should be explored. Perhaps contraflow could have been established... but that typically takes HOURS to safely put into place. LSU is a LARGE campus. I think they did remarkbaly well.

• The Artist Formerly Known As Prints posted at 11:27 am on Thu, Sep 20, 2012.

The Artist Formerly Known As Prints Posts: 1

This editorial is a fine example of a responsible student press doing exactly what it should be doing. Thanks for prodding us to look at this incident from a clear perspective.

|
||

Opinion Vlog: Gameday Trash

The Daily Reveille Opinion Editor Gordon Brillon makes one final plea for the LSU community to...

Opinion Vlog - Celebrity Nudes Leak

As you probably know, a number of pictures said to be nudes of various celebrities have recently ...

Opinion Vlog - Guinness World Records

The Daily Reveille opinion staff show off their skills and break world records.

Twitter feed