Salary database sheds light on faculty pay - lsureveille.com: LSU Salaries

|
||

LSU Salaries Salary database sheds light on faculty pay

Related Stories

Posted: Monday, March 4, 2013 6:24 pm | Updated: 12:05 am, Thu May 2, 2013.

As students sit daydreaming or scribbling in class, they’ll now be able to read how much the instructor teaching them is being paid on The Daily Reveille’s website.

But they won’t be limited to seeing only instructors’ salaries. Students and anyone else interested can look up the salary of any faculty member who works for the University with The Daily Reveille’s new salary database for the 2012 fiscal year.

The salary information was obtained from the salaries of the non-classified employees document, which is located at the Hill Memorial Library reserves desk. The document was scanned, processed through optical character recognition and hand-cleaned.

The salary information shown in the database is in accordance with the data provided by the Hill Memorial Library; however, portions of salaries, which are generated through private foundations, grants and other means, are not present in the data. This is especially prevalent when it comes to the salary information of coaches.

According to the database, almost 15 percent of faculty members at the University rake in salaries of at least $100,000, while less than 2 percent make at least $200,000.

About 85 percent of the University’s faculty salaries come in at $99,999 or less, while 17 faculty members earn less than $10,000 per year.

The five buildings on campus that house the highest paid employees — based on salary averages in the building — include the Football Operations Building, with an average salary of $179,188; the Chemical Engineering Building, with $102,067; the Business Education Complex, with $101,780; the Electrical Engineering Building, with $94,774; and the Athletic Administration Building, with an average of $94,121.

The five campus buildings with the lowest salary averages include Francioni Hall, with $33,042; the Dairy Science Building and Shop, with $32,664; the LSU Child Care Center, with $28,957; Sturgis Hall, with $25,172; and the Food Science Building, with an average of $20,292.

When viewing the database’s maps, some employees will not appear because no address information could be obtained for them. Address information was retrieved from the University’s online directory.

Aside from most University coaches and administrative positions, which hold incomplete data in their salaries because they are paid unknown additional amounts from various foundations, Kevin Smith, LSU Foundation James C. Bolton Distinguished Professor of chemistry, is the highest paid faculty member, earning a salary of $252,654.

Ourso Family Distinguished Professor of Information Systems Rudolf Hirschheim at the E.J. Ourso College of Business trails Smith with a salary of $240,057. Hirschheim is also the highest paid nine-month employee.

Jennifer Gilkes, psychiatrist at the Student Health Center, holds the third highest salary of $233,333.

The fourth highest paid faculty member is Earl Plummer, a physics and astronomy professor and special assistant to the vice chancellor for research. He earns a salary of $230,000.

Rounding out the top five salaries is Luigi Gaetano Marzilli, professor of chemistry, earning a salary of $213,820.

The highest paid alumni professor recorded in the database is Robin McCarley, who teaches analytical, surface and materials chemistry. McCarley’s salary measures at $139,660.

4 comments:

• hbuck posted at 3:18 pm on Mon, Mar 18, 2013.

hbuck Posts: 2

Reveille:
    Great idea to publish the salaries of the professors/instructors standing in front of students. There will be no better way to discourage those students for going into education in general, or now into higher education institutions like LSU. Sad, so sad.
    "Tigers for Jindal"

• tigergirl76 posted at 9:11 am on Thu, Mar 14, 2013.

tigergirl76 Posts: 1

It should be noted that many of the salaries included in this list are supported either partially or fully by grant funds or self-generated funds and are not supported by LSU's state operating budget.

• Tim posted at 3:27 pm on Wed, Mar 13, 2013.

Tim Posts: 1

A style note. Fiscal Years are listed as a single year.

For example, it might be more effective for your copy to read "The Daily Reveille’s new salary database for Fiscal Year 2013. The fiscal year began in July 2012 and ends June 2013."

It's unfortunate that your article does little to explain what these salaries mean. Your article simply spits out numbers at people. I would rather read about a trend rather than a bunch of numbers.

• Mike the tiger posted at 1:03 pm on Wed, Mar 13, 2013.

Mike the tiger Posts: 1

I'd like to pose a few questions.

First of all, which Fiscal year are these numbers from. In the article it says the fiscal year of 2011 to 2012. If by that you mean FY 2012, then those are last year's numbers.

If you would like to get FY 13's numbers those are available in Middleton at the circulation desk. They would be a much better representation of what faculty make.

Secondly, there are several people listed on the database that are no longer employed by the university. For example, Eric Monday no longer works at LSU.

I'd also like to point out that Greg Studrawa's pay rate was recently reduced. His salary is the same as it was last year.

My final point is a suggestion. I think it would be more effective to write this article at the beginning of the fiscal year, rather than the end. This article is being published months before the fiscal year expires. It would be more timely to do it as soon as the fiscal year begins.

Keep up the good work.

|
||

What's the Buzz?

Loading…

Twitter feed