Point guard Anthony Hickey suspended indefinitely - lsureveille.com: Sports

|
||

Point guard Anthony Hickey suspended indefinitely

Posted: Friday, December 7, 2012 2:47 pm | Updated: 12:58 pm, Wed Jan 29, 2014.

LSU sophomore guard Anthony Hickey was suspended indefinitely on Friday for a violation of athletic department and university policies, coach Johnny Jones announced.

"There is a responsibility that comes with playing college basketball," Jones said in a news release. "If a player doesn't take care of his responsibilities, then he loses the privilege of being able to play."

Hickey had been in hot water from the start of the season, suspended for the Tigers'  82-66 exhibition win against Arkansas-Monticello, along with freshman guard Shane Hammink, for what Jones termed "not taking care of their business."

The Hopkinsville, Ky. native was then held out of the starting lineup in a 75-50 rout of Mississippi Valley State three weeks later after Jones said he was "not following through and taking care of some personal things."

"I know I have let my family down, my team down and LSU down," Hickey said in a news release. "I will come out of this as a much stronger individual. I pray to be back in my LSU uniform as soon as I can."

Hickey has brought his veteran leadership to Jones' up-tempo squad, anchoring the running offense and terrorizing opponents to the tune of an NCAA-leading 4.4 steals per game.

The former "Mr. Basketball" in the state of Kentucky, Hickey also leads the team with 5.2 assists per game while chipping in 10.2 points per game.

1 comment:

• sportsman posted at 1:18 pm on Sun, Dec 16, 2012.

sportsman Posts: 1

I think Anthony hickey is a great individual who knows what he has to do. Truthfully he has let a lot of people down just for the moment but I know he will weather the storm

|
||