Rivett, McClure leave LSU - lsureveille.com: Sports

|
||

Baseball Rivett, McClure leave LSU

Duo declined relegation to developmental squad

• LSU Baseball

LSU head coach Paul Mainieri talks to players during practice on Monday, Oct. 8, 2012 in Alex Box Stadium.

Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2013 3:48 pm

Freshman outfielder Chase Rivett and Panola Junior College transfer pitcher Jamie McClure will not return to LSU for the 2013 season, coach Paul Mainieri told The Daily Reveille on Tuesday.

Rivett and McClure were offered spots on the LSU developmental squad, on which they would work more with strength coaches and dietitians, but both declined the offers according to Mainieri.

"Basically we had a 37-man roster going into fall and we had to get it down to 35 [before spring]," Mainieri said. "We sit down as a staff and we decide who we have the most confidence in and who we can move forward with."

Rivett, an East Ascension High School product, was a 2011 Perfect Game Underclass All-American who Mainieri labeled as a "physical right-handed hitting outfielder" and an "above average runner who will add to our team speed" when Rivett signed with the Tigers.

McClure traveled a more winding road to LSU, spending two years at Panola Junior College after graduating from Catholic High School in Baton Rouge. Suffering a concussion that caused him to miss much of his senior season at Catholic and requiring Tommy John surgery the following summer, McClure rebounded at Panola to garner first-team All Conference honors in 2012.

McClure chose to continue his career at the University of Central Oklahoma, while Rivett will play at Chipola College in Marianna, Fla., according to Mainieri.

"We [as a staff] are going to do what we think is best for the program," Mainieri said.

|
||