Baseball: Lineup change effective in 7-3 victory against Bulldogs - lsureveille.com: Sports

|
||

Baseball: Lineup change effective in 7-3 victory against Bulldogs

Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:16 pm

LSU’s second game in Starkville wasn’t nearly as stressful as the squad’s series-opening victory on Friday night, as the Tigers’ bats provided some breathing room in a 7-3 win over the Bulldogs (18-4).

The Tigers’ lineup has a different look to it on Saturday night. Freshman center fielder Andrew Stevenson found himself in the lineup in place of sophomore outfielder Chris Sciambra, but more noticeably, sophomore second baseman JaCoby Jones batted in the leadoff role.

Jones responded to the move by recording two hits, including a two-RBI double in the fifth inning, and a run scored.

Senior first baseman Mason Katz was sure to stay in the box score again on Saturday night, as he continued to stay white-hot at the plate. Prior to the contest, Katz had launched six home runs in the last four games. Katz added another long ball, his ninth of the season, in the second inning on Saturday, giving the Tigers (18-1) an early 1-0 lead.

Freshman shortstop Alex Bregman launched some fireworks of his own in the ninth inning. With LSU leading 4-1, he lifted a three-run blast over the left field wall to give the Tigers a firm grip on the Bulldogs.

On the mound, junior right-hander Ryan Eades (4-0) proved to be effective, tossing seven innings of one-run baseball and striking out eight Mississippi State hitters. Eades kept the Bulldogs off balance with an effective breaking pitch, only surrendering six hits in the game

Senior relievers Joey Bourgeois and Chris Cotton pitched in relief in the eighth and ninth innings, surrendering four hits and two runs.

|
||