Assistant coach Sanchez leaves baseball team - lsureveille.com: Baseball

Assistant coach Sanchez leaves baseball team

Posted: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 6:23 pm | Updated: 9:55 pm, Wed Jul 9, 2014.

LSU baseball hitting coach Javi Sanchez has left the team to pursue a business career, according to a news release Wednesday.

The 32-year-old plans to retire from coaching after his seven-year stint with the Tigers. Sanchez coached LSU to three College World Series appearances and the 2009 national championship.

“My daily focus was always to uphold the championship tradition at LSU and to be a piece of this legacy,” Sanchez said in the news release. “Our players have been a joy to recruit and work with throughout the years. They provided my existence as a coach, and I will always value the imprint they have left on my life personally and professionally.”

The Tigers struck out the fewest times of any Southeastern Conference team and ranked in the top five in the league in 10 offensive categories last season. LSU was second in the SEC in slugging percentage and third in batting average and RBIs.

The Tigers — under Sanchez’s guidance — led the 2013 conference in hits, doubles and total bases. Sanchez coached outfielder Raph Rhymes, who led the country with a .431 batting average and garnered First Team All-America recognition.

Sanchez began his coaching career after spending four years in the Minnesota Twins’ farm system. He played at Notre Dame under current LSU coach Paul Mainieri.

|
||