LSU volleyball embracing "Compelled" slogan this season - lsureveille.com: Sports

LSU volleyball embracing "Compelled" slogan this season

Posted: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 5:57 pm | Updated: 9:00 pm, Wed Sep 3, 2014.

The LSU volleyball team’s definition of compelled probably isn’t the one listed in the dictionary.

It’s become a slogan for the Tigers, it’s pasted on the front of their media guides and it’s on the tip of their tongues at all times.

“Compelled” represents a new attitude for a team trying to follow up its best postseason run of the past few years. It’s a symbol for the dissatisfaction it feels after losing to the University of Washington in the second round of the NCAA Tournament last season.

It means doing more.

“It’s doing what you’re asked and doing even more because you want to,” said LSU junior outside hitter Katie Lindelow. “It doesn’t come from doing it because you’re forced to do more. It’s a lot of internal motivation to be better. It’s you doing extra and more than you have to.”

LSU coach Fran Flory said the origins of “compelled” are from a conditioning test the team ran a few years back.

The team went through its training and at the end, a small group of players wanted to go again. No one followed suit the first time.

But the next time, several players joined in on the extra running. After that, the numbers grew.

“That growth and leadership is what led to us using it because they have truly trained and played compelled to work hard for this season,” Flory said.

LSU senior outside hitter Helen Boyle said the word’s root comes from the Janssen Sports Leadership Center the Tigers have been a part of for the past three seasons.

Boyle said “compelled” is the highest level of leadership to aspire. It’s more than just obedience, which is only doing something when forced to do it.

“It means a lot more than just working hard at practice,” Boyle said. “It’s getting your treatment done, making sure you’re recovered well, making sure you’re on track in school. It works in every aspect of your life.”

LSU has used several other slogans for its teams in the past. “Lagniappe” and “Power Beyond Measure” were highlights of recent seasons.

But Lindelow said “compelled” feels different. She said it has the potential to stick because the team is buying into it more than they have in the past. “Compelled” gives them a more real goal for the Tigers to reach for, and Flory is inclined to agree with her.

“It means more,” Flory said. “‘Lagniappe’ was a word that, if you’re not from Louisiana, you don’t know what that word means. … But ‘compelled’ has a more attainable feel to it than anything else and I think that’s why it’s going to stick and it’ll be more significant.”

|
||