Anthony Hickey out against Houston Baptist - lsureveille.com: Sports

|
||

Anthony Hickey out against Houston Baptist

Related Stories

Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2012 2:28 pm | Updated: 12:58 pm, Wed Jan 29, 2014.

Sophomore point guard Anthony Hickey will not play Friday against Houston Baptist in what coach Johnny Jones termed as "discipline" at a news conference Thursday.

Hickey, who leads the nation with 3.5 steals per game and averages 10.3 points per game, will face discipline for the fourth game this season.

The Hopkinsville, Ky. native was suspended for an exhibition win against Arkansas-Monticello and a win against Chattanooga, and also was withheld from the starting lineup in the Tigers' 75-50 victory against Mississippi Valley State.

"Anthony has a lot of improvement to do in a lot of areas not only on the floor but off as well," Jones said. "We have to try to help him develop."

Hickey, who met with the media minutes before Jones made the announcement, was very coy in his comments about his recent tweets that suggested trouble, only hinting that everything "was good."

In Hickey's absence, the point guard duties were relegated to junior Andre Stringer and freshman Corban Collins, both of whom will seemingly take the reins again as Hickey rides the pine.

Fresh off an 18-point performance against Marquette where he grabbed a career high seven rebounds, Hickey had seemed to be back in Jones' good graces after an "indefinite" suspension ended after one game and the sophomore returned to action against Boise State.

Jones said he hasn't decided whether Hickey will play in the Tigers' January 5 contest against Bethune-Cookman or return to the floor as LSU moves into Southeastern Conference play.

"For him to be able to help us on a consistent basis, it can't be just one-dimensional. It just can't be about basketball," Jones said. "He's going to have to, at some point, grow up."

|
||