Swimming and Diving: LSU women to compete in last meet before SEC championships - lsureveille.com: Sports

|
||

Swimming and Diving: LSU women to compete in last meet before SEC championships

Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:43 pm

The LSU women’s swimming and diving team is set to host Houston, Rice and Tulane this weekend in the LSU Natatorium in what will be the Lady Tigers’ last meet before the Southeastern Conference Championships.

“In the progression toward SEC’s, we’re changing our training focus as we lighten the intensity load,” said LSU swimming coach Dave Geyer. “We’re looking at finalizing some of our race strategies.”

The Championships will be on Feb. 19 in College Station, Texas .

After a season full of meets in the ultra-competitive SEC, Geyer said the team is looking at this quad meet as an opportunity to mix things up and get different swimmers to try different events.

Geyer said this strategy is important to break the monotony of the grueling season and to keep the swimmers engaged as they prepare for the ultimate goal of performing well at the SEC tournament.

“It’s an opportunity for some of the girls to get away from their main events,” Geyer said. “We don’t want them to get burnt out so we are mixing it up a bit to keep that competitive edge going.”

Despite the conference tournament looming, Geyer has the team focused on the task at hand.

“It’s such a competitive conference, so you’re trying to win your duals but at the same time you’re trying to prepare for SEC’s,” Geyer said.

The men have been enjoying a slower week at practice after having competed in three meets in the previous three weeks.

“After the last three weeks of competition, we’re trying to get their body and minds back on track,” Geyer said.

This will also be the women’s last home meet of the year, which will provide a chance to honor the swimmers who have dedicated four years to the program.

“Senior meet is by far my favorite,” Geyer said. “We honor the women that have committed so much to not only the swim program but the Athletic Department as a whole.”

Chelsea Griffiths, Sara Haley, Audrey Lawson, Kaelee Mader, Jana Ruimerman, Elle Schmidt and Sally Wood are all seniors this year.

“It gives them a chance to compete and reflect on what has hopefully been a great four years,” Geyer said.

|
||