Women's Basketball: Lady Tigers’s Spain trip builds skill on and off the court - lsureveille.com: Women Basketball

|
||

Women's Basketball: Lady Tigers’s Spain trip builds skill on and off the court

Freshman Moncrief impresses in exhibitions

Posted: Monday, August 26, 2013 6:42 pm | Updated: 1:03 am, Tue Aug 27, 2013.

The LSU women’s basketball team took the opportunity to evaluate where it stood against international opponents late this summer when they embarked on a foreign exhibition tour of Spain.

LSU competed in four games against two teams and experienced the culture of the country, making stops in Barcelona, Valencia, Alicante and Madrid.

“We had a lot of fun both on and off the court,” said senior forward Theresa Plaisance. “... Spain is absolutely beautiful... Everything over there was just phenomenal.”

Freshman guard Raigyne Moncrief made herself known in the latter half of the trip, leading two victories over Catholic University of Murcia with a combined 29 points. The Lady Tigers defeated Catholic in their last two games 101-28 and 79-42, respectively.

“I was just trying to help my team win,” Moncrief said. “I did not expect to have the games I had.”

Senior guard Jeanne Kenney praised Moncrief’s perfmormance in Spain, indicating her speed poses a problem for most defenders she faces.

“She’s so quick,” Kenney said. “She can get by her first defender without a problem. She has beast form.”

The Lady Tigers’ fell to Team France AMW All-Stars in their first game on the tour, but they didn’t go down easily.

LSU found itself trailing France by 12 points before fighting back and tying the game at 64 in the final minute before falling 67-64.

“That showed we had a lot of fight,” said senior guard Jeanne Kenney. “Even though we lost, we knew we would be alright, because we had them again in the next.”

Less than 24 hours later, LSU earned a 55-52 victory in the rematch behind a 16-point effort from sophomore guard Danielle Ballard.

The Lady Tigers hope these tests against an evenly matched opponent will help prepare them for the upcoming season.

“It was good to play against a tough team to see where we are at and where each one of our roles are on the team,” freshman guard Raigyne Moncrief said. “Now I know what the competition will be like and what I need to work on, and the coaches know what our strengths and weaknesses are.”

The exhibitions also gave LSU a chance to find a comfortable pace to play at.

If the Lady Tigers’ trip overseas is any indication, they will look to run the court and beat teams with their speed.

“It was good to see the tempo of the game, especially how we want to play it,” Kenney said. “The tempo was so good. We are looking to push this year. We have so many quick guards.”

LSU welcomes six new faces in 2013 between freshmen and transfers.

Although the transfers were unable to attend, LSU used the trip to strengthen relationships and build chemistry with its freshmen off the court.

The Lady Tigers agreed the experience will prove to be invaluable as the season approaches.

“It is like we just got a head start,” Kenney said. “Everyone is bonded and close right now. [The freshmen] played so well and they fit into our system perfectly.”

The LSU women’s basketball team took the opportunity to evaluate where it was against international opponents late this summer when they embarked on a foreign exhibition tour of Spain.

Senior guard Jeanne Kenney praised Moncrief’s performance in Spain, indicating her speed poses a problem for most defenders she faces.

More about

More about

|
||