Response rally protests

Despite holding ground outside the PMAC during “The Response,” students hoping to bring attention to higher education’s expected budget cuts were overshadowed by protests against Gov. Bobby Jindal’s prayer rally.

Business marketing junior and head of the “counter-rally” George Bevan, equipped with a “Pray for Education” banner said he would ask “The Response” goers to also pray for education.

“A lot of people are going to be protesting different things and we figured that the best way to have our voices heard and get Bobby Jindal’s attention is to ask these people while they’re there praying for other things to pray for our education,” Bevan said.

Bevan, along with political communication junior Helen Frink and secondary education junior Sophia Holland, stood outside of the PMAC with their banner and flyers thirty minutes prior and preceding the prayer rally.

Frink said the outside of the PMAC was the ideal spot to get their message out because students would be in an activist state of mind.

“They’re already in the mindset of being against this and raising awareness and it’s not just this rally, that’s the issue,” Frink said.

Bevan said the University’s looming budget cuts are worth protesting over.

He wanted to showcase students do care about the issue.

“Our goal is to let the governor and legislature know that despite what they might believe, students do care about education and education funding, not just the specials in Tigerland on a Thursday night,” Bevan said.

Bevan wanted to create a flyer with three eye-opening facts to grab people’s attention.

The flyer’s three facts included the potential $384 million in cuts to higher education, the $700 million cut since Jindal has been in office and Louisiana’s 46th spot in higher education quality.

Bevan said a massive budget cut to higher education is the last cut the University needs.

“I feel like not a lot of people would pay attention to that, but that kind of really hits home that we shouldn’t be cutting education if we’re this bad in education,” Bevan said.