Lara Nicholson.jpg

What is your major and year?

I am junior majoring in print journalism and political science with a minor in psychology.

Where are you from?

I have lived in Baton Rouge, La. since 2010.

What positions have you held in the past at The Reveille?

I started as a news reporter in the spring of 2019 and then worked as the digital editor in fall 2020.

Why did you join The Reveille?

I joined The Reveille my freshmen year because of all the hype it got from Manship. I knew I wanted to become a better writer, talk to more people and learn about LSU, and I could tell in my first two weeks that The Reveille was the right place to do that.

What does The Reveille mean to you?

The Reveille has been a fantastic place for me to grow as a writer and to learn a wide array of storytelling techniques. But I think beyond that, the Reveille has given me the opportunity to really look at my community from a critical lens and how to hold leaders accountable for their actions. I think being at the Reveille has allowed me to hold a mirror up to the University so that I can show the campus a side of their community that they've never seen before, like the personalities behind Facility Services or LSU's response to increases in local crime. I have really enjoyed my time at The Reveille thus far and I look forward to spending this next semester with them.

If you had one piece of advice for a new student, what would it be?

This is hard to achieve due to the pandemic, but talk to everyone. Make connections with classmates and professors and everyone else you see from day to day. The first reason being that I have yet to meet someone who doesn't have an interesting story. You may think you understand a person just from one conversation, but if you ask a couple questions I can almost guarantee you'll learn something new from them. The second reason being that you never know what sort of opportunities someone will present just from knowing them. 

What's your favorite story that you've written so far?

What do you hope to do after graduation?

I know I want to work for a news organization. Ideally, I would like to either report on politics or focus on digital media, web producing and engagement. My focus for after graduation is to have the opportunities to become a better journalist and to help lift the presence of whatever organization I work for.

Where can you be found on social media?

Facebook: Lara Nicholson

Twitter: @LaraNicholson_

Instagram: @LaraNicholson_