Katherine Manuel.jpg

What is your major and year?

I'm a sophomore studying political communication and political science.

Where are you from?

Lafayette, Louisiana

What positions have you held in the past at The Reveille?

I've previously been a news reporter covering breaking news/crime and politics/higher education and I also was the deputy news editor.

Why did you join The Reveille? Why news?

I've always loved to write, so I joined The Reveille to improve my writing skills and gain experience in a real-world setting. I chose to apply and work in the news section for the past few semesters because I like the variety of topics that news offers when covering the University. I've covered so much-- from the Board of Supervisors to various clubs on campus, and from investigating dorm problems to featuring service dogs-- and I've truly enjoyed seeing so many sides of campus.

What does The Reveille mean to you?

The Reveille has given me the opportunity to use the skills I learned in my mass communication classes in a professional setting. Being a news reporter and editor at The Reveille has allowed me to cover and investigate issues, stories and events relevant to students on campus and shine a light to topics pertinent to the LSU community.

If you had one piece of advice for a new student, what would it be?

Don't be afraid to try out new things! Oftentimes we fear what we don't know or aren't comfortable with, but leaving the comfort zone is where growth occurs.

What do you hope to do after graduation?

I hope to cover politics as a print journalist for a few years and then go to law school to eventually become an attorney.

Where can you be found on social media?

Twitter: @kmanuel_2

Instagram: @k8manuel