Cécile Girard

What is your major and year?

I am a senior majoring in psychology with minors in Spanish and biological sciences.

Where are you from?

Lake Charles, LA

Why did you join The Reveille? Why opinion?

I've long been interested in the world of journalism—those little press fedoras, smoky 1970s newsrooms, the way ink bleeds on grainy news pages—but was never really drawn to actually reporting. Opinion was the perfect compromise as it offered the thrill of seeing my words in print, while also letting me write in the argumentative essay style I used in my humanities coursework.

What positions have you held in the past at The Reveille?

I was an opinion columnist for four semesters, from August 2019 to May 2021.

What's your favorite thing about working at The Reveille?

I love it when my columnists send me links to articles that inspire an idea for a future column, updates about their articles' responses or even memes related to opinion writing. Writers who are willing to engage with our section beyond the minimum requirements show a genuine commitment to their work, our section and The Reveille as a whole.

What's your favorite story that you've written so far?

Although "Opinion: May we all behold the mighty tree and its many lessons" is not my most hard-hitting article, it is the most personal. The piece includes post-Hurricane Laura reflections, Mitski lyrics and an appreciation for how the human experience is interwoven with, even defined by, the physical space surrounding us, which pretty much sums up my whole schtick.

What do you hope to do after graduation?

Ultimately, I would love to become an OB-GYN and research reproductive health issues through a public health lens. But in the short term? Maybe move to a new city in hopes of finding myself, only to realize the change I needed was within me all along.

Where can you be found on social media?

Instagram: @_cegi_

Twitter: @_cegi_